Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
So I have a project that is 75BPM in 3/4

I added a Drummer (Magnus Big Room EDM) track but wanted a certain section in half-time

So, I clicked on "Auto Half-Time" in the "Details" pane - nothing changed

I then thought, well, maybe Drummer cannot do half-time in 3/4 so I converted the entire project to 4/4 - clicked "Auto Half-Time" and still nothing changed

I then opened a new project and only put a Drummer (Magnus Big Room EDM) track on it - I set this project to 100BPM in 4/4 - clicked "Auto Half-Time" and nothing changed

I then sped the tempo to 120BPM in 4/4 -- clicked "Auto Half-Time" and finally, Logic changed it to half time

Then, as it was playing in half-time, I gradually decreased the tempo and, as soon as it went under 110BPM, the track no longer played half-time

I went back to my 75BPM in 3/4 project and increased the tempo to 110 and voila, Drummer played in half-time

I suppose I answered my own question in this post but it would be nice to get a confirmation or reason behind Drummer only playing half-time on projects that are 110BPM or faster

Thank you and be well

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
That's correct…and what half-time you can do depends on the drummer (person) you choose.

Workaround: Set the tempo to 110 with "Auto Half-Time" on. Drag the region to a MIDI track…which creates a MIDI version of the half-time region. Use the new MIDI region on the Drummer track and it will play that half-time pattern at any tempo.

Basically, you've "printed" a Drummer region to a MIDI region. You can't use Drummer parameters to change it anymore.

I do this conversion a lot when I feel I'm close as I can get to what I want with a Drummer pattern. Then, I can tweak the MIDI to my liking. And…as it can't be changed with the Drummer parameters…I'm less likely to screw it up by mistake.

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
That's correct…and what half-time you can do depends on the drummer (person) you choose.

Workaround: Set the tempo to 110 with "Auto Half-Time" on. Drag the region to a MIDI track…which creates a MIDI version of the half-time region. Use the new MIDI region on the Drummer track and it will play that half-time pattern at any tempo.

Basically, you've "printed" a Drummer region to a MIDI region. You can't use Drummer parameters to change it anymore.

I do this conversion a lot when I feel I'm close as I can get to what I want with a Drummer pattern. Then, I can tweak the MIDI to my liking. And…as it can't be changed with the Drummer parameters…I'm less likely to screw it up by mistake.
OK so the MIDI will then play at the proper tempo of the track once I decrease the tempo back again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.