Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schnitzel1979

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Hi everybody,

i am planning on getting a new mac together with the latest version of Logic Pro.
I have an few questions:
- how much space on the ssd will be used by Logic Pro ? Will a 512 GB ssd be enough ?
- when getting a new mac with latest Logic Pro, will all instruments and loops be installed, or
do you have to get them seperately ?
- will 32 GB of Ram be enough for Logic Pro or should I go for 64 ?
- will a mac studio m2 max be enough power to run the latest version of Logic Pro ?
Thank you for the help !
Best regards,
Schnitzel

Reactions: rm5

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Any Mac can run Logic Pro- even Mac Mini.

Answers to most of the rest of your questions will be influenced by what you want to create. The more elaborate your creations, the more horses & storage you may need. Both Logic & Final Cut Pro can always benefit by MORE (RAM and SSD) as demands on them ramp up. If all future creations will be simple to moderate, you can probably get by just fine on or near minimum specs for a Mx MAX chip. But complicate those recordings and you eventually exceed what it can do.

What is "simple" and "moderate"? That's the problem. One persons moderate is not necessarily anothers. As others post answers in this thread, you'll probably get a full range of "my setup is fine for anything I do in Logic Pro." But is what they do comparable to what you will ever do on it? Somebody can lay down 8 or 16 tracks of simple music with no issue at all. For all we know, you may be wanting to develop complex orchestral scores with hundreds of tracks, dozens of instruments with complex processing/effects.

You might want to watch some Mac Studio youtube videos about Logic Pro tests to get a feel for various specs and what they can do. I recall seeing at least one guy pounding them in tests with more and more tracks in search of breaking points. Find and watch those and you can get a sense of if his "loads" will ever be like your loads. Else, if you can never anticipate going as far as something in his tests, you can probably seek out less specs than whatever specs he's testing.

If you can afford it, jack up the RAM since you can't ever upgrade after day 1 without buying an entirely new Mac. SSD can be small if you opt for an external as you need more storage. HOWEVER, Apple SSD is super fast and Logic Pro can benefit from super fast. It appears that Apple SSD speeds ramps up in tiers. I've seen stuff implying either 2TB or 4TB is optimal for MAX SSD speed. Again, this MAY be important if your present or future creations will be rich/complex. If you are going to mostly be recording simple stuff, you may not even need a Mac Studio's power.

Last edited:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Here's the important question: what are you going to be doing? And will your needs change over time? I agree with @HobeSoundDarryl. I'd say look specifically at what kind of music you want to create—looking at a video about how many tracks a Mac Studio can handle might give you a general idea, but isn't going to discuss specific sample libraries, etc. There are plenty of videos talking about specific types of music. Again, what works for some rando like me might not work for you, so do LOTS AND LOTS of research before you buy!

512 GB is a bare minimum—I'd say go for 1 TB of storage so you can store some essential libraries internally, with the big files/samples being stored externally. The Logic samples aren't preinstalled.

Also, go for 64 GB of RAM to future-proof yourself.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

Schnitzel1979

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Hi,
thank you for your answers ! Will most certain go for 64 Gb Ram und 1 Tb ssd, I am just not sure yet if it will be the M2 Max or Ultra Chip.
Best regards,
Schnitzel

Reactions: rm5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.