Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
I created a Logic Project (Logic Pro 10.7.3) running on my MacBook Pro 16", M1 Max, 64GB unified memory

The 3rd party plugins I am using are Kontakt and East West Opus

According to Native Instruments, Kontakt is compatible with Logic on Macs using the M1 chip and Monterey

According to East West, Opus is compatible with Logic on Macs using the M1 chip and Monterey

The project consists of 18 tracks:
-Logic instruments: 3
-Kontakt: 1
-Opus 14

My buffer is at 256
Cores are set to: 10
CPU usage about 12%

The project kept crashing so I tried importing track, settings, aux and midi into a new project - however, Logic kept crashing when I tried to do this - so, I then exported all the individual tracks as MIDI files, deleted the project, quit Logic, restarted my computer, opened Logic and rebuilt the entire project using the MIDI files

However, the project keeps randomly crashing

I have other projects using Kontakt and Opus and those do not crash

Could there be something in the MIDI itself (I am asking because I have no other explanation) causing a crash?

None of this makes sense

If anyone has experienced something like this or has any advice, I am all ears and would truly appreciate it - thank you

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
ry it with the plugins and see if doesn't crash? This is way you see if the plugins are the cause or the program! If doesn't crash! Then add the fist plugin and see if it crashes! If tit doesn't then try the second and see if crashes. Marking Fromm one of these companies might be lying to you!

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
There are, from my personal experience, still an absolute sh-tload of problems associated with using external plugins with M1 Logic, even those which have been re-coded for M1. I don't see this stabilising for another year at least. Suggest opening Logic via Rosetta to use the Intel version to see if your plugins crash then.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
You’re not alone in this. I’m on a 16-inch with M1 Pro and I also run a lot of Native Instruments effect plugins.

Supposedly the Native Instruments plugins are all M1 optimized, but If I even just move a plugin up or down in a mixer-channel, Logic 10.7.4 gives me the spinning beachball and a five minutes long freeze/crash!

DAWs like Cubase 12 run them absolutely fine, and funnily enough, I’ve just copied Logic Pro 10.5.2 off an old Mojave Mac, and it also runs them absolutely fine through Rosetta2.

This is definitely on Apple!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.