Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oarx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
OKC
Maybe I'm going crazy, but... I don't remember the log in icons ever being this large. They used to all line up and fit in the screen and were smaller. Now they are larger and only fit a few on the screen, there is a beginning and ending vertical threshold on the left and right where the icons don't go past...

Am I crazy? did my cat walk on the keyboard and do something?

upload_2018-9-28_21-39-36.jpeg

Reactions: xxVOXxx

pentool

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2013
I can confirm that the login icon is bigger and there's no frosted glass effect on the login screen. Since I only have a single login, I don't know how the login icons would appear next to each other if I had a lot of them like you.

Reactions: martyjmclean

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
Maybe I'm going crazy, but... I don't remember the log in icons ever being this large. They used to all line up and fit in the screen and were smaller. Now they are larger and only fit a few on the screen, there is a beginning and ending vertical threshold on the left and right where the icons don't go past...

View attachment 790239

No you are not crazy. That's a new feature for those of us that have bad vision.

JLH888

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2018

View attachment 790239

Also it's slow, the icons fade slowly like the Mac is on a massive slowdown. I have this and I'm on a new MacBook Pro.

oarx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
OKC
Ok, thank you guys for the replies.

I guess what I thought happened was that I installed Mojave and the icons were the same and then that day I actually noticed them being different and thought maybe I had done something to cause the change.

What I'm hearing is that this is how Mojave is and I just didn't notice the change right right away.

Why do you have so many logins on a MacBook? It really is indeed a personal notebook.

I guess I initially set up accounts for my family to be able to back up everyones phone and I wanted to keep everything separated by family member. No one but me really uses it, but they are set up on it just for that purpose.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
It's very easy to have four icons displaying even if hardly anyone else uses your laptop.

1. Yourself
2. A spare/backup admin account in case one messes up. I needed this when one set of beta upgrades kept messing up the associated iCloud account. My backup admin account has no iCloud login associated with it.
3. Guest
4. "Any other user" or whatever it says when you log out (rather than reboot).

The icons are big and childish looking imo.

Reactions: greenvomit8

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
True enough, but there are these other machines... called Desktops, that can be shared by many people.
Also, there are laptops that are a family's main computer. I always shared my laptop with my girlfriend. And also had an admin account. When we would have a babysitter over, I would temporarily enable the guest account, too. I don't think it's strange at all, a laptop being shared by multiple people in a household.

erwolff

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2018
Why do you have so many logins on a MacBook? It really is indeed a personal notebook.
[doublepost=1545558254][/doublepost]that is the sort of stupid question that dies not contribute anything to the conversation - I have five accounts on my MacBook, and they are there for a reason

Marc Evans

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2018
USA
[doublepost=1545558254][/doublepost]that is the sort of stupid question that dies not contribute anything to the conversation - I have five accounts on my MacBook, and they are there for a reason

Agreed. Tired of the replies where people need to feel superior by questioning "why" you want to know the answer. If you can answer a question, answer it. If you can't, move along without becoming the judgmental "church lady". As the sole user of my MBP, I still have 3 accounts on it, and I still don't like the larger icons, so I still have the question as to why they got big and trying to find out how to remedy that.

Reactions: garbeth

erwolff

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2018
Agreed. Tired of the replies where people need to feel superior by questioning "why" you want to know the answer. If you can answer a question, answer it. If you can't, move along without becoming the judgmental "church lady". As the sole user of my MBP, I still have 3 accounts on it, and I still don't like the larger icons, so I still have the question as to why they got big and trying to find out how to remedy that.
[doublepost=1545601752][/doublepost]thanks, Mark Evans
and as we are on the topic, I can give ananswer to why so many accounts: one is my standard, personal account with my emails, etc,etc
the second account is the admin account
the third one is for lecture materials - should any one remember my login for that, they can't get into my personal account because it has a different password
the fourth account is solely for photographs taken while on the move - when I get home I can easily delete everything on it to regain space,
and finally the fifth account is for trying things out which I am not so sure about - if needed I can delete the whole account
anyone out there thinking I should merge them all into the admin account?

paikinho

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
True enough, but there are these other machines... called Desktops, that can be shared by many people.

I have my desktop iMac. My Wife has her own iMac.
Neither is to be touched by the kids.

We have a laptop that we have all 3 of our kids using and a couple of adults as well when traveling. Each person needs their own account or they simply would mess up what other people are doing.

We have been doing it for over 10 years this way. When our machine was a linux laptop we had many nice simple login screens with separate accounts for each of the kids. They were always tidy and simple to use. Highly customizable for the kids to put their own icons on or create their own.

Not sure why it is a difficult to understand that needs vary with different people.

Having large cludgy icons where you have to swipe around to get at ones own personal login is unnecessary.
Would love to have the ability to customize the experience to our needs. That is how things should be rather then simple Giant Icons for each person. Defeats simplicity and functionality.

Even a simple list would be far better.... all on the screen at the same time.
[doublepost=1546832735][/doublepost]
Ok, thank you guys for the replies.

I guess what I thought happened was that I installed Mojave and the icons were the same and then that day I actually noticed them being different and thought maybe I had done something to cause the change.

What I'm hearing is that this is how Mojave is and I just didn't notice the change right right away.

I guess I initially set up accounts for my family to be able to back up everyones phone and I wanted to keep everything separated by family member. No one but me really uses it, but they are set up on it just for that purpose.

View attachment 790239

I was poking around because I have the absurdly large Icon problem since Beta Testing Mojave on the laptop.

One thing I found is that this helps somewhat since I have 7 accounts on the laptop.

System Preferences--> Display --> Resolution: (Click Scaled) --> Choose More Space

You might need glasses though, but it will make the screens hold more info, more windows. It will look more like a tiny desktop.
Best of all is the icon size on the login Screen get much smaller.
Still have some scrolling with my 7 accounts, but at least it isn't showing only 3 or 4 now.... and scrolling the rest.

Wish the login icons would be vertical.

Pain in my Petoot is what apple has made this. I would love to simply stack the icons in a decending and customizable row. Simple, Orderly, No pesky scrolling

GylesM

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011

View attachment 790239
I'm late to the Mojave party and had the same question about the suddenly oversized log in icons. I was hoping for an answer on how to change it back. Since all of the discussion here seems to only be about why one would have more than one of two icons, I assume there is no way to change it, correct?

erwolff

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2018
I'm late to the Mojave party and had the same question about the suddenly oversized log in icons. I was hoping for an answer on how to change it back. Since all of the discussion here seems to only be about why one would have more than one of two icons, I assume there is no way to change it, correct?
[doublepost=1561283126][/doublepost]It is my computer and I should be able to set the size of the login icons to what I think is right, not some busybody at Apple who "knows what is best for me".
is there really no-one out there who knows how to get into to operating system to change the default size of the icons? Clue: it must be possible to change the size because when my laptop is connected to my TV, the icons are a lot smaller - why can't that be so all the time?
I cannot imagine something like this happening while the late Steve Jobs was still in charge

xxVOXxx

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2020
Soo... I'm super late to the Mojave party, BUT since the noticeably larger User Photo and text is also super annoying to me as well, I did craft a kind of workaround for one of the issues. I've attached a frosted glass ring overlay that closely resembles the one automatically put over your User Photo in OSX Mavericks and below. It is the exact same size (512x512) as the User Photos on OSX.

1.) Locate and open your favorite User Photo in Photoshop etc.
2.) Make sure your image is 512x512 like the default photos. If not, resize it.
3.) Add this attached image as a new layer over the chosen photo, the ring should touch the sides of the photo. Note that the 4 corners of the image will be hanging out behind the ring. That's fine leave those there, you won't see them.
4.) Save the new image as format .TIF and place it in /Library/User Pictures with the rest of the User Photos.
5.) You can now select the new image from System Preferences/Users & Groups/.

The User Photo on the Login screen should now have the nice frosted glass overlay with the ring, making the image appear slightly smaller like it used to on High Sierra and below. This, unfortunately will not fix the issue of having many user accounts, pushing the images off screen. For a computer with one or only a few logins, however it will make it seem a bit more compact.

If anyone has come across an ACTUAL fix to make the Mojave login & lock screens smaller again please let me know. Aesthetically it was a huge step down from High Sierra...

Attachments

• Mac OSX Login Fosted Glass.png
    Mac OSX Login Fosted Glass.png
    182.4 KB · Views: 97
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.