Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m1m2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2021
My Logitech C615 webcam is showing blank image on the new M1 pro 14". On FaceTime and Zoom it recognizes the device but the image is just black. I can see it on USB device list. Anyone has seen similar issues? It works on my old Intel MacBook.

thebitguru

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
They are both pretty good. I use the Logitech one because I generally have my MacBook Pro in "clamshell"/closed and connected to external monitors.

Reactions: bluegt

m1m2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2021
I also have the same camera and was experiencing the same issue. After installing the latest drivers I had to restart the computer to get the camera to start working again.
Still doesn't work after installing the software and restarting the computer. When I launch the app, it seems to keep detecting and fail to detect the camera in a loop. Now I start to worry there's a problem with my new matchbook pro hardware... Are you using the new macbook pro 14/16" with the m1 pro chip?

thebitguru

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Yes, I am using the new 14" M1 Max MacBook Pro. I did notice that it stopped working after the first time when I had it plugged in to the USB hub in my external monitor. Plugging directly into the MacBook Pro through a simple USB A to USB C adapter gets it to work again. I need to troubleshoot this more, but that might be a quick workaround if you are using an external USB hub.

m1m2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2021
Yes, I am using the new 14" M1 Max MacBook Pro. I did notice that it stopped working after the first time when I had it plugged in to the USB hub in my external monitor. Plugging directly into the MacBook Pro through a simple USB A to USB C adapter gets it to work again. I need to troubleshoot this more, but that might be a quick workaround if you are using an external USB hub.
Yes I connected it through a USB A + HDMI to USB C adaptor, tried both an Apple one and a 3rd party one. In the end I gave up and bought a Logitech C920X Pro HD, and it works! So I suspect there's something flaky about the USB connection on the C615.

Reactions: tamkaizen

hz123

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2021
I'm having the same issue on my MacBook Pro 14". I've installed the latest drivers (Oct 26th, 2020) and restarted the computer.

Under System Information > Hardware > USB, when I Command-R (reload) a lot I can see it flickering between 2 "HD Webcam C615" devices and just 1. There is consistently 1 "HD Webcam 615" listed under Hardware > Camera.

Camera Settings (Logitech app) flickers between no camera detected and a blank image with C615 connected.

Occasionally I can get an image from the webcam to load but it disconnects pretty quickly.
Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 2.05.58 pm.png

Daniele.dc

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2021
London
Hi, I am having the same problem, and I am confident is a Monterey incompatibility.

I have two m1 MacBook Air in my house, one on Monterey and on on BigSur and on the identical setup the BigSur has absolutely no problem, while the Monterey Macbook has the same issues we're all having in this thread (not recognised, camera setting crashing etc.)

I am not sure if/when Logitech will provide an update, but we can all try to ask at once and see if they give at least a timeframe.

tamkaizen

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2021
Hi, everyone. Thanks for all the tips, but I have the same issue. My logitech c615 camera was working fine until I updated my 2021 M1 MacBook Air to Monterey and since then it won't detect it. I've tried all the tips above as well and still no resolution. I also use clamshell mode so I need an external camera.

AppleFanBoy888

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I just bought a C615 and I was having a black screen on FaceTime and the microphone didn't seem to work for Siri / Dictation. Oddly enough Chrome, Photo Booth and Zoom work but I need FaceTime and Siri as well. After some testing, I got it working! I had to restart the process "avconferenced" for FaceTime to work and "coreaudiod" for Siri / Dictation. Unfortunately, Safari is still having issues so I'm using Chrome for web-based video conferencing for now but I'm doing some more testing.

Details on restarting avconferenced & coreaudiod:

Easiest way:

Open the Terminal app
Copy and paste this command
sudo killall coreaudiod ; sudo killall avconferenced
Enter Password when prompted

Long way:

Open Activity Monitor
Search for coreaudiod and select it
On the top right, click the "X" icon and click Quit
Do the same for avconferenced

Un-conveniently, this needs to be done every time you connect the C615 (From my testing).
Also, the C615 must be connected directly to the MBP. Hubs, docks, etc. doesn't seem to work (Same issue as other people have in this thread) (which ruins my 1 cable setup ?)
So much trouble just to get the C615 working. Might exchange the C615 for another webcam as I can't wait for a software update.

Testing was done using an M1 Max 16" MBP.

I hope this helps some people!

Last edited:

bkfred

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
Just had this exchange with Logitech today. No timeline on a fix for the C615...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 12.51.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 12.51.08 PM.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 557
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 12.51.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 12.51.16 PM.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 567
  • Sad
Reactions: thebitguru

hz123

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2021
My C615 was still under 1 year warranty, so by showing the specs page which only showed minimum macOS version (no maximum), and sending a video in with the Camera Settings and System Information screens flickering when the camera is plugged in, I was eventually mailed a C920 replacement which works fine (and got to keep the C615).

Reactions: bkfred

beamer908

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Have you updated to the latest driver, released Oct 26th?

Thank you. This helped for me!
Y'all are referring to the Driver from 2020 here, right? There's not a newer one and I noticed there's nothing to download for macOS 12 specifically.

Having the same issue though strangely this only started for me recently. This camera has worked fine with this particular USB port (on my monitor) and with my M1 13" for the past year before all of the sudden stopping working.

I'm beginning to think something in one of the recent OS updates broke this.

Last edited:

UBNO

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
The 12.3 update appears to have fixed the issues I was having with my Logitech C615 webcam.

On previous versions of Monterey the webcam would only work on initial boot and only if the webcam was connected before booting. If the Mac (M1 Air) went to sleep or I disconnected and reconnected the webcam, it wouldn't show an image and BetterTouchTool would report it as a USB device that was constantly disconnecting and reconnecting. Initial testing after updating now has it working flawlessly through those scenarios. Fingers crossed it keeps up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.