Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a Logitech C920 to capture 1080p video into QuickTime or other app, using my Universal Audio Apollo as the audio input. I have an early 2011 MBP running OSX 10.11.1. Although the C920 seems to be compatible with QuickTime as long as Final Cut Pro X is installed (which I have), I've read that it captures video without any compression, producing enormous file sizes. I would need to find a way around this so my SSD doesn't get filled up in a matter of minutes. Has anyone used another program such as VLC to capture video from a C920 with compression while still maintaining 1080p quality?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a more Mac-compatible webcam of similar quality and price? I'm surprised there aren't better options by now in 2016.

Thanks in advance for any help.

UPDATE: I went with the Logitech C930E, which is fully Mac-compatible.

Last edited:
Reactions: madele

madele

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2013
I am hop
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a Logitech C920 to capture 1080p video into QuickTime or other app, using my Universal Audio Apollo as the audio input. I have an early 2011 MBP running OSX 10.11.1. Although the C920 seems to be compatible with QuickTime as long as Final Cut Pro X is installed (which I have), I've read that it captures video without any compression, producing enormous file sizes. I would need to find a way around this so my SSD doesn't get filled up in a matter of minutes. Has anyone used another program such as VLC to capture video from a C920 with compression while still maintaining 1080p quality?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a more Mac-compatible webcam of similar quality and price? I'm surprised there aren't better options by now in 2016.

Thanks in advance for any help.

UPDATE: I went with the Logitech C930E, which is fully Mac-compatible.
Please can you tell me if you found any alternatives .. I came to the same conclusion as you but do not like the addition of the ultra wide angle .. However .. I found the C922 Pro software was only partly Mac compatible and there was no way to manually focus which was important to me .. And the C920 software was not compatible at all .. I have heard there are software compatible alternatives but know nothing about them .. Thank you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.