Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philpalmiero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
NOVA
I can view the video stream live while at home, but whenever I’m away from I only see a pic that is the last pic recorded while I was home and it never updates, just spins. Therefore, if I’m at work I’m seeing a pic that is 5 hours old or greater with the spinning icon in the center. I’d expect a delay while it downloads the latest pic, but this just isn’t working.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I can view the video stream live while at home, but whenever I’m away from I only see a pic that is the last pic recorded while I was home and it never updates, just spins. Therefore, if I’m at work I’m seeing a pic that is 5 hours old or greater with the spinning icon in the center. I’d expect a delay while it downloads the latest pic, but this just isn’t working.
I have several of the Logitech Circle 2 cameras in and around my home and I’ve come to realize that they are very finicky when it comes to Wi-Fi. In other words, you need a very solid Wi-Fi connection for these to work remotely.

1. Do you have the Circle 2 or Circle View. I believe the Circle View can only connect via 2.4 GHz and the Circle 2 does both 2.4 and 5 GHz (I may be wrong on that)

2. What kind of network are you running? I’ve found viewing my camera feeds remotely to improve drastically when I went to a mesh network (eero Pro 6).

3. You do have a home hub, right? (HomePod, AppleTV, iPad that stays home).

4. Try a test by moving the camera very close to your router and see if you can view the feed remotely. I’ve had issues where I couldn’t even connect the camera to the network unless it was close to my router.

philpalmiero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
NOVA
I have several of the Logitech Circle 2 cameras in and around my home and I’ve come to realize that they are very finicky when it comes to Wi-Fi. In other words, you need a very solid Wi-Fi connection for these to work remotely.

1. Do you have the Circle 2 or Circle View. I believe the Circle View can only connect via 2.4 GHz and the Circle 2 does both 2.4 and 5 GHz (I may be wrong on that)

2. What kind of network are you running? I’ve found viewing my camera feeds remotely to improve drastically when I went to a mesh network (eero Pro 6).

3. You do have a home hub, right? (HomePod, AppleTV, iPad that stays home).

4. Try a test by moving the camera very close to your router and see if you can view the feed remotely. I’ve had issues where I couldn’t even connect the camera to the network unless it was close to my router.

Thanks for the reply.

1. IDK which version I bought. I bought the Circle View Camera that is sold by Apple.com at $159.99 this month. It doesn't state 1 or 2, but it was brand new and a recent purchase.

2. I have FiOS with the Verizon G1100 router, it is running both 2.4MHz and 5MHz. It is not a mesh router. It might be a poor wifi signal or or maybe interference as I live in a TH community many other wifi signals in the area.

3. I have two ATVs both with hub enabled and three mini HomePods. I don't think you can disable the Home Hub on HomePods. Let me know if that is something I need to check.

4. I will move it to the same room as my camera tonight and test it for a few days. I'll let you know.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks for the reply.

1. IDK which version I bought. I bought the Circle View Camera that is sold by Apple.com at $159.99 this month. It doesn't state 1 or 2, but it was brand new and a recent purchase.

2. I have FiOS with the Verizon G1100 router, it is running both 2.4MHz and 5MHz. It is not a mesh router. It might be a poor wifi signal or or maybe interference as I live in a TH community many other wifi signals in the area.

3. I have two ATVs both with hub enabled and three mini HomePods. I don't think you can disable the Home Hub on HomePods. Let me know if that is something I need to check.

4. I will move it to the same room as my camera tonight and test it for a few days. I'll let you know.
The Circle 2 and Circle View are two different cameras. The View is the successor to the 2 so it’s the newest one available by Logitech. Biggest visual cue is the color. View is black and 2 is white. The Circle 1 is an old camera that never had HomeKit support.

I suspect that the camera is just getting a poor Wi-Fi signal. Like I mentioned previously, I had the same issue (a lot of owners of this camera did) until I switched to a mesh network. It doesn’t hurt either if you’re phone is getting a solid internet connection as well when checking in on the stream remotely.

Are you able to check your network settings to see which band the camera is connecting to? I noticed on my Circle 2 cameras that when connected to the 2.4 ghz band, they can be very laggy and even drop off HomeKit with a “No Response”. They work much better on the 5 ghz band. You can also do a speed test on your phone, right next to where the camera is to get an idea of what the Wi-Fi coverage looks like in that spot. And also, continue to test with the camera by the router.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.