Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
So, I ended up returning my Magic Keyboard. I’ve had plenty of experience with them in the past, but I realized that I valued the tablet experience more than just a strict keyboard experience. For one, the screen is closer to me and two, the speakers sound much louder and I love that.

I ended up buying a Otterbox Symmetry Series 360 Elite folio case from the Apple Store. It arrives today. I was set on this until I started considering another product: the Logitech Combo Touch.

What I like about it is I can get the keyboard experience from the Magic Keyboard, but when I want to use it strictly as a tablet, probably mostly for media consumption, I can detach the keyboard from the Combo Touch.

I am torn on what to choose between the two. I don’t know how much I’ll like the Otterbox yet, so I can’t say for certain. The Combo Touch seems nice, but the glaring issue that’s always kept me away from their keyboards is lapability.

I sit in a really nice recliner with lots of room for stretching out, so I don’t really have a desk for using my cases. The kickstand might not work well in my case, but for those of you who own the Combo Touch and use it in your lap, how does it fair?

Also, what would you do in my situation? Like I said, I love the tablet experience, but I don’t want to be completely without a physical keyboard either since the virtual one is a bit mundane.

In closing, I want to thank you for reading my post and I hope I get some opinions which I am sure will be very valuable to my choice between the two!

Edit: I didn’t see the Combo Touch thread before making this one, so I’ve found out lapability is not great. I’ll probably just stick to the Otterbox unless there’s a compelling argument for the Combo Touch in my usage case.

Last edited:

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Never had the need to use the iPad Pro 12.9” on my lap, so the Logitech Combo Touch wasn’t seen as a negative in that regard. I love it for the detachable keyboard and adjustable angle support In all other situations where I don’t need the keyboard.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
So, I ended up returning my Magic Keyboard. I’ve had plenty of experience with them in the past, but I realized that I valued the tablet experience more than just a strict keyboard experience. For one, the screen is closer to me and two, the speakers sound much louder and I love that.

I ended up buying a Otterbox Symmetry Series 360 Elite folio case from the Apple Store. It arrives today. I was set on this until I started considering another product: the Logitech Combo Touch.

What I like about it is I can get the keyboard experience from the Magic Keyboard, but when I want to use it strictly as a tablet, probably mostly for media consumption, I can detach the keyboard from the Combo Touch.

I am torn on what to choose between the two. I don’t know how much I’ll like the Otterbox yet, so I can’t say for certain. The Combo Touch seems nice, but the glaring issue that’s always kept me away from their keyboards is lapability.

I sit in a really nice recliner with lots of room for stretching out, so I don’t really have a desk for using my cases. The kickstand might not work well in my case, but for those of you who own the Combo Touch and use it in your lap, how does it fair?

Also, what would you do in my situation? Like I said, I love the tablet experience, but I don’t want to be completely without a physical keyboard either since the virtual one is a bit mundane.

In closing, I want to thank you for reading my post and I hope I get some opinions which I am sure will be very valuable to my choice between the two!

Edit: I didn’t see the Combo Touch thread before making this one, so I’ve found out lapability is not great. I’ll probably just stick to the Otterbox unless there’s a compelling argument for the Combo Touch in my usage case.

Have you ever considered a lap desk? I've never had a laptop that I've felt comfortable with in my lap - and I've had a lot of different ones - so I use a lap desk when necessary.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Have you ever considered a lap desk? I've never had a laptop that I've felt comfortable with in my lap - and I've had a lot of different ones - so I use a lap desk when necessary.
You know, it might sound stupid, but I had no idea they even made lap desks. Man, they are pretty cool! Do you have one you would recommend?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
You know, it might sound stupid, but I had no idea they even made lap desks. Man, they are pretty cool! Do you have one you would recommend?

I do have a couple but I don't know where I got them - not Amazon. But Amazon has a lot to choose from. (btw - not stupid at all)

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I think I found a good one that has a mousepad too if I ever wanted to use one. It has a phone holder too, so that’s cool. I might just get that one and the Logitech Combo Touch. I received the Otterbox today and I hate it. It might have been alright on the lap desk, but the angle is not ideal while in my lap whatsoever. Thank you so much for telling me about the lap desks!

It’s either that or a Zugu Case, but my issue with those is the fact that the microfiber lining rests on your lap and it picks up lint and hairs and gets on your screen which is a pain. I guess I have some thinking to do. Lol.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I think I found a good one that has a mousepad too if I ever wanted to use one. It has a phone holder too, so that’s cool. I might just get that one and the Logitech Combo Touch. I received the Otterbox today and I hate it. It might have been alright on the lap desk, but the angle is not ideal while in my lap whatsoever. Thank you so much for telling me about the lap desks!

It’s either that or a Zugu Case, but my issue with those is the fact that the microfiber lining rests on your lap and it picks up lint and hairs and gets on your screen which is a pain. I guess I have some thinking to do. Lol.

Yeah, I also have a Zugu and it is great with the multiple angles. Any case like that will have the lint issues.

scoobysnax

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2016
I mostly use my iPad in tablet mode, which the LCT excels at. Lapability was an concern for me initially, but found it works well enough when I want to type out a quick email. It’s not enough of a hindrance to forgo the tablet protection/l and versatility.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
Ive been through two combo touch cases for my 12.9 due to trackpad and fitment issues, and settled on one for my 11 iPad and ive never hated and loved a case this much in my entire life.

Note I do own the new white magic keyboard case for both sizes so even though I try not to compare functionality there is a bit of bias - especially when comparing the trackpad.

It’s really cool with the detachable keyboard with the function row, and feels quality, keys are great and I don’t mind the kickstand. What annoys me the most is the little bugs, the trackpad isnt the best as sometimes it registers gestures wrong, and also sometimes when I disconnect the keyboard it leaves the cursor on screen so I have to either restart the iPad or reattach and detach the keyboard again, also now and again its not woke the iPad up when opening and the keyboard was unresponsive until I disconnected and reconnected.

That being said, even though I’ve sent two back for the larger iPad, and am typing this out using it on my 11inch I still want to get one for my 12.9 although I’m going to wait a bit and hope issues are ironed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.