Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I’ve searched everywhere for an answer on this. Hoping someone with a Logitech Crayon can answer.

Does the Crayon allow OS gestures (swipe up to go home, down for notifications, control center)? I know the Apple Pencil blocks these and it’s annoying for me. I understand why Apple blocks it but I’d prefer if it wasn’t.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Just tried with my iPP 11 2018 and those gestures do not work. I tried in Notes, but the crayons acts as a pencil swiping up from the bottom, does nothing for notifications and control center. Also tried from home screen.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Just tried with my iPP 11 2018 and those gestures do not work. I tried in Notes, but the crayons acts as a pencil swiping up from the bottom, does nothing for notifications and control center. Also tried from home screen.

Lame. I like using Styluses (Stylii?) for general UI navigation on large devices and both Samsung Tablets and Surface devices allow full control with the pens. I know Apple blocks it to prevent unwanted selections but I wish they’d atleast add an Accessibility option to enable it.

Since they both act the same… thoughts on Crayon vs Apple Pencil?

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I use the Crayon when grading papers because I can use it on two iPads at the same time. I have the student’s programming assignment PDF on my iPP 11 2021 (opened from OneDrive) and the rubric on my Mini 6 (also opened from OneDrive). I can move between the two without having to switch pencils. Before I got the Crayon, I had to switch pencils (was using iPP 11 2018 and Mini 5 when I started grading this way) and it was a PITA. More times than not, I’d have the wrong one in hand.

I use the pencil most of the time. It’s attached to its respective device and always handy. When I have time, I dabble in Procreate, so pressure sensitivity is a must.

I like the feel of the Crayon. If I do hold it just so, sometimes it skips. Overall, I prefer the pencil, but the Crayon serves a purpose and eliminates writing utensil frustration while grading, which is not one of my favorite tasks.

Reactions: sracer

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
What do you feel about bluetooth technology? I feel it is consuming my iPad battery.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
What do you feel about bluetooth technology? I feel it is consuming my iPad battery.
The 3rd party pen that I use doesn't drain the iPad's battery.

If you are experiencing battery drain and have narrowed it down to bluetooth, it's possible that you might have unpaired bluetooth devices in the vicinity that are are in discover mode. I can see THAT draining the iPad's battery as it communicates with them but not actually paired.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
The 3rd party pen that I use doesn't drain the iPad's battery.

If you are experiencing battery drain and have narrowed it down to bluetooth, it's possible that you might have unpaired bluetooth devices in the vicinity that are are in discover mode. I can see THAT draining the iPad's battery as it communicates with them but not actually paired.
Hi!
So, you're saying I must "forget" them?
I'm wondering if the bluetooth connections lays on the bottom right of the iPad. If it is so, that would explain the little warming I feel.

1677239842621.png

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hi!
So, you're saying I must "forget" them?
I'm wondering if the bluetooth connections lays on the bottom right of the iPad. If it is so, that would explain the little warming I feel.

View attachment 2163712
I don't think you need to "forget" those devices that are paired. The iPad isn't constantly looking to connect with those devices... if one of those devices is turned on, then it sends out a beacon to say that it is available... and the iPad then tries to connect.

I think it would be the "other devices" (like that Huawei P smart 2019) that could potentially cause the iPad to experience battery drain.

Of course, this is all theory on my part. It's possible that the battery drain you are experiencing is not a result of bluetooth being active... or perhaps an issue with the version of iPadOS on your device.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
I don't think you need to "forget" those devices that are paired. The iPad isn't constantly looking to connect with those devices... if one of those devices is turned on, then it sends out a beacon to say that it is available... and the iPad then tries to connect.

I think it would be the "other devices" (like that Huawei P smart 2019) that could potentially cause the iPad to experience battery drain.

Of course, this is all theory on my part. It's possible that the battery drain you are experiencing is not a result of bluetooth being active... or perhaps an issue with the version of iPadOS on your device.
I just feel that when the Apple Pencil is paired it loses battery way faster than when it is not.
That's why I'm thinking to buy other stylus, non-bluetooth.
I'll test again today, but I just do highlights and underlines in PDF's.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I just feel that when the Apple Pencil is paired it loses battery way faster than when it is not.
That's why I'm thinking to buy other stylus, non-bluetooth.
I'll test again today, but I just do highlights and underlines in PDF's.
Ok, that helps me understand what's going on. It's not bluetooth. It's the Apple Pencil 1 (AP1).

The AP1 seems to be in constant communication with the iPad it is paired with. Things like reporting battery level for one. Just sitting paired with either of my iPads will drain the battery on the AP1 within a few days. If I know that I won't be using it, I'll unpair it from everything.

Now that I have this 3rd party Pencil, I only use the AP1 when I'll be sketching/drawing and need pressure sensitivity.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
Ok, that helps me understand what's going on. It's not bluetooth. It's the Apple Pencil 1 (AP1).

The AP1 seems to be in constant communication with the iPad it is paired with. Things like reporting battery level for one. Just sitting paired with either of my iPads will drain the battery on the AP1 within a few days. If I know that I won't be using it, I'll unpair it from everything.

Now that I have this 3rd party Pencil, I only use the AP1 when I'll be sketching/drawing and need pressure sensitivity.
I'm sorry for my bad English: it's the battery on both devices, the AP1 and the iPad!
On the previous posts I wanted to say that the AP1 utilization drains the iPad faster than I wanted, and I believe it is from the bluetooth connectivity, although I can't boldly claim that.

When I previously stated: "I just feel that when the Apple Pencil is paired it loses battery way faster than when it is not", by it I meant the tablet. Sorry.

What you say it's true. The AP1 indeed reports it's battery on the widget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.