Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Logitech CREATE Backlit Keyboard Case was in stock. Apple Store didn't have the Smart Keyboard for iPad Pro in stock. I was surprised the keyboard wasn't sealed with plastic wrap or any tape. It comes in a thick box kept close by a magnet on one side. They said it's to allow us to try it before buying. I can't tell if it was used.

The case holds two corners of the iPad very tightly. Be careful when you press the corners in. You can see the LCD pixels ripple when pushing the frame, so I don't want to remove and insert even though I want to try the iPad Pro without the keyboard.

I pressed the lock key above the delete key many time while typing this. I'm not picky with keyboard keys. I don't have any complaint about how the keys feel so far. An escape key would be useful for remote desktop sesions or to exit full screen mode in web apps like Google Docs, but it's replaced by a Home button key. The backlight is a nice addition that Apple's Smart Keyboard doesn't have. The backlight starts to fade off after 5 seconds.

Last edited:

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Yes, I think this keyboard isn't the best design. Too heavy and not easy to remove. The Smart Keyboard is easy to remove but seemed impossible to fold the right way to get it to act as a stand or just cover. Too many flaps. Logitech already have the right idea with their magnetic ultrathin keyboards they have for other iPads. They just need to integrate it with the smart connector.

gottafly

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
I bought this case and I like it, but I have had a number of keyboard disconnects in my first day of use. It is connected (physically) properly, but the connection seems to drop and needs to be separated and reconnected to wake the link back up.

Has anyone else experienced this?

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I'll probably buy this keyboard case today. Looks to be pretty sturdy and since Apple's isn't ready yet...

Here is a pretty awful video about it

The Other One

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
I picked one up last night, too. The Smart Keyboard's lack of media, volume and brightness controls and the absence of the backlighting make it a nonstarter for my needs. This is subjective, but I also think the Logitech looks better. Enough time hasn't passed for a truly extensive test, but in using it last night, there were no issues. Typing feel isn't dissimilar to that of my MacBook Pro, which is great.

My only complaints, which have been mentioned, are that it's a rather snug fit and it adds considerable bulk to the device. I like being able to hold the naked device for basic media consumption (browsing Texture or watching movies for instance), but the tight fit definitely discourages on-the-fly removal and reattachment.

Not a lot of alternatives at the moment, but I'm happy with the CREATE overall.

UPDATE: Nevermind. It still works fine, but the added weight and bulk combined with the difficulty of removing it have quickly become annoying. When attached, it makes the iPad weigh roughly as much as a MacBook Air and is actually thicker.

I had purchased a Smart Cover when I picked up the iPad Pro on Wednesday, so I'm just going to add the silicone case to the mix — those two will keep it well protected without adding an undue amount of weight or bulk (plus the Smart Cover is a cinch to remove) and then just use one of the Bluetooth pairing presets on my Logitech K811 for the rare instances when I need to type at length.

Last edited:

gteska

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
Greenville, SC
I purchased this and really wanted to like it. My main issue is the weight and bulk. It is also difficult to remove from the case for times i want to use the Apple Pencil.

The keyboard itself feels great and the build quality is good. The backlighting is nice. The angle it holds the iPad is a bit too upright.

I'm returning it. :(

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I looked at it, but I'm thinking about going for the Magic keyboard and some kind of stand. I hate the instability of the smart cover when you fold it into a triangle under the iPad. Although a backlight would have been awesome.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I purchased it. Apple had the iPad Pro on display with the Apple keyboard. Seemed sturdy and nice. I'll give this Logitech a try and return with my feedback.

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
Ordered a blue one and it won't arrive until Monday. I have absolutely loved my Apple Smart Leather Case but I need a keyboard...If this Logitech doesn't work out for me, I'll have to go with Apple's hot mess of a case.

Jon347

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2012
SoCal
I am experiencing this as well but mine won't connect anymore and says accessory not supported. Taking it back tomorrow and exchanging it for another.

I bought this case and I like it, but I have had a number of keyboard disconnects in my first day of use. It is connected (physically) properly, but the connection seems to drop and needs to be separated and reconnected to wake the link back up.

Has anyone else experienced this?

akiraboi

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
USA
I purchased this case/keyboard as well and have used it at work for two full days now. I like it a lot. It does add weight and bulk but I'm not too concerned with that. Overall I like the keys and the feel of typing on it. I do hit a random key by mistake now and again but I'm sure that will happen less as I get used to it.

Two days in so far and I haven't thought to return it yet.

Felix wave

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
Hello all
I bought one of these and still use it as the keyboard is so good to use.
Unfortunately the fittings that secure the top half of the IPad Pro have broken over time due to knocks. The IPad keeps slipping out and wonder if anybody has any hacks to help keep it in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.