Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Which is a better keyboard for iPad air?

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/keys-to-go-ipad

Keys to go is extremely thin and portable, weighing less than 200 grams and 0.24 inches thick.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/illuminated-keyboard-for-mac-ipad-iphone

On the other hand, K811 is backlit but is heavier being over 300 grams and is also slightly thicker but is still quite portable.

So I guess it's ultra thin, ultra portable vs backlight at expense of some portability and battery life.

Has anyone used either of these?

Last edited:

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
After two iPads and three keyboards over the last several years, I've come to the conclusion that weight and size are absolutely crucial when evaluating keyboards (and cases, for that matter!) If it's too heavy, I won't carry it. As a result, I switched to the Keys To Go in December, and I absolutely love it. Super slim, very light, easy to use, easy to clean. I'm so glad I made the change.

A bigger or heavier keyboard is fine if it's staying on a desk. But if you're looking for a keyboard to take with you from one place to another, go for something lightweight.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
After two iPads and three keyboards over the last several years, I've come to the conclusion that weight and size are absolutely crucial when evaluating keyboards (and cases, for that matter!) If it's too heavy, I won't carry it. As a result, I switched to the Keys To Go in December, and I absolutely love it. Super slim, very light, easy to use, easy to clean. I'm so glad I made the change.

A bigger or heavier keyboard is fine if it's staying on a desk. But if you're looking for a keyboard to take with you from one place to another, go for something lightweight.

Which colour do you have? Is it good for dark environments such as aircraft cabins too?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I went with the blue, lighter color I thonk it shows up better in dim light

I thought it would be more about the contrast between the colour of the keyboard and the colour of the writing which looks white to me.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Which colour do you have? Is it good for dark environments such as aircraft cabins too?

I have the black, but I've been a pretty fast touch typist most of my life. Backlit keys are nice, but I rarely look at my hands, so they're not a necessity for me.

Perhaps pick up both from somewhere with a generous return policy, and take back whichever doesn't suit your needs after trying them out?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I have the black, but I've been a pretty fast touch typist most of my life. Backlit keys are nice, but I rarely look at my hands, so they're not a necessity for me.

Perhaps pick up both from somewhere with a generous return policy, and take back whichever doesn't suit your needs after trying them out?

Unfortunately generous returns policies aren't common here in the uk, unlike in the states. Apple do it but the uk stores don't sell these keyboards.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Unfortunately generous returns policies aren't common here in the uk, unlike in the states. Apple do it but the uk stores don't sell these keyboards.

Damn. That's not helpful, is it?

Well, I just took the black Keys to Go into a near pitch dark room, probably darker than most planes. Put it right up against the base of the standing iPad--which, let's face it, you're pretty much going to have to do on a tiny seatback tray table!--and started typing this post. With only the iPad Mini at about 45% brightness illuminating the keyboard, yes, I can see the white letters on the keys. They're not bright, but there's enough contrast to see them if you have reasonably good eyesight. I'd imagine an iPad Air, with it's larger screen, should light them even better.

Now again, I've been touch typing since I was around 12 years old...longer ago than I care to admit. I simply rarely need to look at the keys, so what works for me might not work for you. I also almost always use the overhead light on planes. That means that I wouldn't hesitate to use this keyboard for travel myself, but I can see where others might prioritize a backlit model.

Just for perspective: my first keyboard was the Apple Wireless one. With batteries in it, it weighs about the same as the K811. When I found that the Logitech Ultrathin for the Mini just wasn't working for me (too slippery when on a smooth surface and I didn't like the angle it put the iPad at), I went back to the Apple one. I took it out of the house exactly once. It was just too heavy and bulky for me. I handed it off to my husband to use with his Air. He uses it happily enough at home, but won't take it with him either, citing the same thing. We both tend to travel fairly light, and I think it's pretty telling that though we both find that an excellent keyboard overall, neither of us considers it particularly portable.

Last edited:

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013

Well, I just took the black Keys to Go into a near pitch dark room, probably darker than most planes. Put it right up against the base of the standing iPad--which, let's face it, you're pretty much going to have to do on a tiny seatback tray table!--and started typing this post. With only the iPad Mini at about 45% brightness illuminating the keyboard, yes, I can see the white letters on the keys. They're not bright, but there's enough contrast to see them if you have reasonably good eyesight. I'd imagine an iPad Air, with it's larger screen, should light them even better.

Now again, I've been touch typing since I was around 12 years old...longer ago than I care to admit. I simply rarely need to look at the keys, so what works for me might not work for you. I also almost always use the overhead light on planes. That means that I wouldn't hesitate to use this keyboard for travel myself, but I can see where others might prioritize a backlit model.

Just for perspective: my first keyboard was the Apple Wireless one. With batteries in it, it weighs about the same as the K811. When I found that the Logitech Ultrathin for the Mini just wasn't working for me (too slippery when on a smooth surface and I didn't like the angle it put the iPad at), I went back to the Apple one. I took it out of the house exactly once. It was just too heavy and bulky for me. I handed it off to my husband to use with his Air. He uses it happily enough at home, but won't take it with him either, citing the same thing. We both tend to travel fairly light, and I think it's pretty telling that though we both find that an excellent keyboard overall, neither of us considers it particularly portable.
Thanks. That's gives me a very good idea. I think I'll go with the keys to go since portability is the priority for me.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013

Before I buy it, how do you find it for actually typing? Is it accurate? Do you have to press down hard on the keys?

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Before I buy it, how do you find it for actually typing? Is it accurate? Do you have to press down hard on the keys?

Here's a mini review i posted when I first got it: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20523810/

What I'd add to that after a few weeks use:

No, I don't find that the keys are hard to press, though obviously it's not like typing on a virtual keyboard where the slightest touch registers. Using this keyboard is different, and it takes a little getting used to if you haven't used something similar before. The coated fabric feels a little weird, because really, who types on fabric? LOL The keys are barely two thicknesses of paper taller than the rest of the keyboard, which also takes some getting used to if you've only used regular or chiclet style keys. I made more typos with it when I first started out, until I became more accustomed to the short height of the keys. That took perhaps a few hours of off and on use. Now, moving to a "real" keyboard feels weird. :D

All that said, the more I use it, the more I fall in love with it. It's a nice combination of super light weight, exceptionally thin, yet sturdy enough for lap typing (which is how I'm using it right now.) You get the responsive feel of a physical keyboard, which is great for touch typing--you'll feel the mechanical action of the keys beneath your fingers. It's extremely quiet; no "click" sound, just a quiet dull thump as you strike the keys. Despite the light weight, it also doesn't tend to move around on slick finished tables while I'm typing, the way the Ultrathin for the Mini did.

And of course, I can take it to Starbucks without worrying about what's going to happen when I spill coffee on it! The black one does seem to show dirt fairly easily, but it's also easy to wipe clean.

The two things I dislike: the lack of a Caps Lock indicator, and the very tiny, somewhat difficult to toggle power switch--it's fine for me, with small fingers and long nails, but I do wonder how most guys do with it. Otherwise, I personally feel it's an excellent keyboard, once you get used to the quirk of typing on short keys covered in fabric. I definitely would suggest looking at all the reviews you can find though; there are people who dislike it, and it's good to understand why, since you won't have as easy a time returning it as we do here in the States.

Last edited:

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Here's a mini review i posted when I first got it: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20523810/

What I'd add to that after a few weeks use:

No, I don't find that the keys are hard to press, though obviously it's not like typing on a virtual keyboard where the slightest touch registers. Using this keyboard is different, and it takes a little getting used to if you haven't used something similar before. The coated fabric feels a little weird, because really, who types on fabric? LOL The keys are barely two thicknesses of paper taller than the rest of the keyboard, which also takes some getting used to if you've only used regular or chiclet style keys. I made more typos with it when I first started out, until I became more accustomed to the short height of the keys. That took perhaps a few hours of off and on use. Now, moving to a "real" keyboard feels weird. :D

All that said, the more I use it, the more I fall in love with it. It's a nice combination of super light weight, exceptionally thin, yet sturdy enough for lap typing (which is how I'm using it right now.) You get the responsive feel of a physical keyboard, which is great for touch typing--you'll feel the mechanical action of the keys beneath your fingers. It's extremely quiet; no "click" sound, just a quiet dull thump as you strike the keys. Despite the light weight, it also doesn't tend to move around on slick finished tables while I'm typing, the way the Ultrathin for the Mini did.

And of course, I can take it to Starbucks without worrying about what's going to happen when I spill coffee on it! The black one does seem to show dirt fairly easily, but it's also easy to wipe clean.

The two things I dislike: the lack of a Caps Lock indicator, and the very tiny, somewhat difficult to toggle power switch--it's fine for me, with small fingers and long nails, but I do wonder how most guys do with it. Otherwise, I personally feel it's an excellent keyboard, once you get used to the quirk of typing on short keys covered in fabric. I definitely would suggest looking at all the reviews you can find though; there are people who dislike it, and it's good to understand why, since you won't have as easy a time returning it as we do here in the States.

I'd like something that can go in my iPad case with the iPad, to carry it around. So I guess I won't be able to do that with a traditional portable keyboard like the k811.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I'd like something that can go in my iPad case with the iPad, to carry it around. So I guess I won't be able to do that with a traditional portable keyboard like the k811.

Hmmm....what size/type of case? If we're talking about a soft padded sleeve, those have a lot more flexibility, and you'd have little issue putting a Keys To Go in one of those along with your iPad. I do this all the time. It wouldn't work well added in to most tightly fitted iPad covers or sleeves though. It's thin--about 1/2 to 2/3 the thickness of my iPad mini 2--but that's still enough to keep a fitted case from closing properly.

K811=10 mm thick (.39 inch)
Keys To Go=6 mm thick (.24 inch)

Honestly, both are considered portable as far as the reviews I can find are concerned.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Hmmm....what size/type of case? If we're talking about a soft padded sleeve, those have a lot more flexibility, and you'd have little issue putting a Keys To Go in one of those along with your iPad. I do this all the time. It wouldn't work well added in to most tightly fitted iPad covers or sleeves though. It's thin--about 1/2 to 2/3 the thickness of my iPad mini 2--but that's still enough to keep a fitted case from closing properly.

K811=10 mm thick (.39 inch)
Keys To Go=6 mm thick (.24 inch)

Soft padded sleeve. K811 might fit but might make it too heavy for me to want to carry around or just won't fit in as comfortably as a keys to go which does look thinner. I had a look at a keys to go in a store today. Couldn't find anywhere selling a k811 though.

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
ARISE THREADIMUS PRIME!!!

Trying to decide between these two keyboards. How do they do in the lap?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.