Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codeman7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Hello! I've got an Apple Studio Display along with a work MacBook Pro and a personal MacBook Air. I'd like to be able to easily switch between using the two laptops and have my keyboard and mouse switch as well. I'm happy to just move the ASD's cable from one to the other when I want to do this. However, I've currently got the Apple keyboard and Magic Mouse, so switching those isn't easy.

I'm looking at the Logitech MX Master 3S for Mac and MX Mechanical for Mac. I'm wondering if I can easily switch these between the two Macs, without using their Logitech Options software, by either connecting them via USB and pressing a button on each, OR by using a Logitech Bolt USB Receiver attached to the back of the Apple Studio Display? In any case, I do not want third-party software installed, so any help is welcome.

Notes:
  • Again, I don't want to have to install Logitech's software for pairing via Bluetooth or to pair with the Logitech Bolt receiver, nor longingly.
  • The two devices don't share iCloud accounts, so I can't use any of Apple's continuity/screen share options easily.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello! I've got an Apple Studio Display along with a work MacBook Pro and a personal MacBook Air. I'd like to be able to easily switch between using the two laptops and have my keyboard and mouse switch as well. I'm happy to just move the ASD's cable from one to the other when I want to do this. However, I've currently got the Apple keyboard and Magic Mouse, so switching those isn't easy.

I'm looking at the Logitech MX Master 3S for Mac and MX Mechanical for Mac. I'm wondering if I can easily switch these between the two Macs, without using their Logitech Options software, by either connecting them via USB and pressing a button on each, OR by using a Logitech Bolt USB Receiver attached to the back of the Apple Studio Display? In any case, I do not want third-party software installed, so any help is welcome.

Notes:
  • Again, I don't want to have to install Logitech's software for pairing via Bluetooth or to pair with the Logitech Bolt receiver, nor longingly.
  • The two devices don't share iCloud accounts, so I can't use any of Apple's continuity/screen share options easily.
iCloud is not involved with pairing, nor is the Logitech software. The MX Master 3S will pair with up to 3 devices at once, just follow Logitech's instructions for Bluetooth pairing.
Getting Started - MX Master 3S – Logitech Support + Download
Without the Logitech software or another 3rd party tool, you won't have access to all the mouse button functionality, however.

codeman7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
iCloud is not involved with pairing, nor is the Logitech software. The MX Master 3S will pair with up to 3 devices at once, just follow Logitech's instructions for Bluetooth pairing.
Getting Started - MX Master 3S – Logitech Support + Download
Without the Logitech software or another 3rd party tool, you won't have access to all the mouse button functionality, however.
Apologies, I wasn't clear there. I know iCloud isn't involved in pairing, I was saying that's why I can't use my existing Apple keyboard and mouse with continuity features.

I also imagined that the Logitech software wasn't involved in bluetooth pairing specifically, but I wasn't sure if it was necessary for pairing the mouse and keyboard with a Logitech Bolt receiver if I wanted to go that route. With plain bluetooth, I imagine I'd have to manually switch both the keyboard and mouse each time I switch computers, whereas I think with the Bolt receiver, that wouldn't be the case (as they'd be connected to the Bolt receiver, which would then be connected to whichever computer the ASD is attached to). But I'm not sure about that point.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
If I understand what you're saying , on the mx master series you can use bluetooth or bolt receiver per slot (and I highly, highly recommend the receiver due to bluetooth lag issues). if you want to use whatever is connected to your screen you will need to go with the bolt receiver or use bluetooth and manually switch between. so yes you are correct.

codeman7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
If I understand what you're saying , on the mx master series you can use bluetooth or bolt receiver per slot (and I highly, highly recommend the receiver due to bluetooth lag issues). if you want to use whatever is connected to your screen you will need to go with the bolt receiver or use bluetooth and manually switch between. so yes you are correct.
Awesome, this is very helpful! I was leaning toward using the Bolt Receiver. My follow-up question then is if I can pair the mouse with a Bolt receiver without the software? And a second follow-up is if the keyboard and mouse can both be paired to the same Bolt receiver?

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
My follow-up question then is if I can pair the mouse with a Bolt receiver without the software?
Nope, their software is required unfortunately. You can have up to six devices per unifying receiver. The receiver included with the Logitech kbm are synced to a device out of the box fortunately so you just need to plug in both recievers to your monitor if you wanted to go that way.

Keep in mind the configuration follows the receiver so if you are unable to run it on lets say a corporate machine, you can always use a different one for the paring process and bring it over.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I've used Logitech mice now for many years with my Macs.
I have NEVER used the Logitech control software.

Instead, I used either USB Overdrive, or (now) SteerMouse.
Both work well, particularly SteerMouse.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
My follow-up question then is if I can pair the mouse with a Bolt receiver without the software? And a second follow-up is if the keyboard and mouse can both be paired to the same Bolt receiver?
I hope I understand your main intention and the following is a possibility for you as well:
I also wanted to avoid installing the Unifying software on my Mac simply for being able to pair devices to a receiver.
So I installed the software on an old Windows laptop with the sole purpose of performing the paring on it.

I have two Unifying receivers. One mouse and one keyboard.
"#1" of my mouse and keyboard is assigned to the first receiver.
"#2" of my mouse and keyboard is assigned to the second receiver.
"#3" is kept free for Bluetooth connections.

I have one receiver in my MacBook and one in my Mac Pro. To switch Macs, I toggle between "#1" and "#2" on the mouse/keyboard.

Addendum: I had to set the layout of my keyboard to macOS:
usb-keyboard-layout.png

Last edited:

verity

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
just move the ASD's cable from one to the other when I want to do this. However, I've currently got the Apple keyboard and Magic Mouse, so switching those isn't easy.
For the keyboard, it could be used wired, right? So it would switch with the main cable?

I do a similar thing, work laptop (or personal) connected to one USBC which goes to a dock attached under a table. Every peripheral is either wired (including apple keyboard) or connected to its own dongle. I long learned to not bother with bluetooth if I want quick/easy/instantaneous switch or wake up and work, no intermittent interruptions. Especially if switching between laptops with different operating systems.

berb

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2023
I installed the Logi software, paired with the Bolt and a Unifying Receiver, then removed the software (using AppCleaner). Works fine on M1 Mac... YMMV.

I use Mos to adjust mouse scrolling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.