Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
I previously used this pad to play Tomb Raider installed on (I think) Mountain Lion. I have just tried to use it to play Limbo, installed on on my iMac / El Capitain, and it does not work.
I have read some posts on here that say the majority of Mac games do not support game pads..
I guess I was just lucky with Tomb Raider?

Are there any game pads that work (reliably with Mac games)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I previously used this pad to play Tomb Raider installed on (I think) Mountain Lion. I have just tried to use it to play Limbo, installed on on my iMac / El Capitain, and it does not work.
I have read some posts on here that say the majority of Mac games do not support game pads..
I guess I was just lucky with Tomb Raider?

Are there any game pads that work (reliably with Mac games)

Here we go... :eek:

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Mac games support gamepads if it makes sense (e.g. console ports, 3rd-person games, etc.), just like PC games. The only issue is that some of them for some boneheaded reason only support Xbox360 controllers, even though those are non-standard and require third-party drivers. That's the case for Limbo. You can buy gamepads like the Logitech F310, which has a switch to toggle between normal USB controller and Xbox360 mode, so it works with all games that support gamepads, but you still need to hunt around for those third-party drivers, which I'm not sure work on 10.11. Another possibility is to use a utility such as Controllermate and so on, which allows you to map gamepad controls to keyboard controls, which works well for games that don't need analog input. That's also the case for Limbo.

--Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.