Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Just got a new Logitech Combo Touch case for my iPad, and I noticed a few subtle changes compared to an older revision.

First, they changed the speaker holes to be individual holes aligned with the iPad's grille rather than one long line:
Image01.jpg

This was probably to address the stretching issue where many of these cases stretched and sagged along the speaker holes because of the thin TPU material. Hopefully this new design will be more durable with the added material along the speaker area.

The second change is with the icons on the volume keys:
Image02.jpg

Previously there were defined plus and minus symbols, but since Apple introduced adaptive volume buttons their functions are no longer fixed so now we have generic button outlines.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
This has been out for a while. The change to the speaker holes is welcome - my M1 12.9 cover suffered from the stretch and I ended up replacing it with an MKB, which I like better (except for the price).

Reactions: Nekomichi

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Also just noticed, the Combo Touch inherits the same backlight behaviour as the Magic Keyboard where it uses the iPad's ambient light sensor to decide when to activate the backlight. If the room is bright, the backlight is auto-disabled to save power. I think earlier (prior to 2020) ones didn't do this.

They also adjusted the trackpad click design. Older reviews from around 2020 mentioned that the trackpad couldn't be pressed down near the top because it used a single-lever design for the click but now it can be clicked anywhere. Our workplace still has some older ones with this limitation.

Reactions: sparksd

Smici

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2019
Also just noticed, the Combo Touch inherits the same backlight behaviour as the Magic Keyboard where it uses the iPad's ambient light sensor to decide when to activate the backlight. If the room is bright, the backlight is auto-disabled to save power. I think earlier (prior to 2020) ones didn't do this.

They also adjusted the trackpad click design. Older reviews from around 2020 mentioned that the trackpad couldn't be pressed down near the top because it used a single-lever design for the click but now it can be clicked anywhere. Our workplace still has some older ones with this limitation.
On the Logitech is the backlight also “reversed”? I mean it would make more sense if in the dark the brightness increase instead of blasting full in full daylight, because I can already see it well. This makes no sense to me and I never use it because of this.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I just received the combo touch case for my 9th gen iPad today ($104 on Amazon; $114 - $10 instant coupon). It's way bulkier than the Apple Smart Keyboard that I have for it, but wow this thing is very nice. The trackpad works better than I expected. ("tap to click" setting ftw)

I had already shifted much of my Chromebook workflows over to the iPad, but with the combo touch case, it makes the whole experience that much better.

I was a bit concerned by the thickness of the edge of the case that my Lightning-to-microSD dongle wouldn't fit... but it does, so that's a pleasant surprise.

Reactions: jazz1

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Thank you for this topic. I have the one with the stretched rubber on the top 2 speaker areas (where I grab my iPad at the most), and the new improvement seem worth it to rebuy the same case after over 2 years of owning it.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
If I order on Amazon, the old product pages (old style) are listed, how would I know I get the revised product?

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I have the originals. Plural because I had the same issue with my first one. Logitech replaced it and said they would let me know if they wanted it back. They never did. The replacement immediately stated the same stretched rubber issue after I took it out of the case to use with the Apple Keyboaed folio one time! Clearly this is a design issue that they’ve tried to fix. I may contact them for a replacement in the new style. I reall love the large trackpad on the Logitech vs. Apples version.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
My less than a year old combo touch for the pro 11 is sagging around the speakers and a crack formed at the keyboard connector. Logitech just approved a replacement that just shipped. Here’s hoping I get this updated design. I loved this case otherwise.

Reactions: sracer

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
My less than a year old combo touch for the pro 11 is sagging around the speakers and a crack formed at the keyboard connector. Logitech just approved a replacement that just shipped. Here’s hoping I get this updated design. I loved this case otherwise.
Please let us know if you receive the updated case, and if you can tell any difference in design and lack of material failure. Thanks! :)

Reactions: ATC

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Please let us know if you receive the updated case, and if you can tell any difference in design and lack of material failure. Thanks! :)
Sadly Logitech sent me the old style combo touch as a warranty replacement. It’ll be just a matter a time before the sagging happens again around the speaker cutouts.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Sadly Logitech sent me the old style combo touch as a warranty replacement. It’ll be just a matter a time before the sagging happens again around the speaker cutouts.
I quit using my replacement as it showed sagging on the front frame on day one. I do miss the large trackpad and function keys.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I quit using my replacement as it showed sagging on the front frame on day one. I do miss the large trackpad and function keys.
The replacement seems tight for me, I’d be totally fine with it if it stays this way, but I suspect it will sag over time.

Have you found a case like the combo touch that you like more?

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
The replacement seems tight for me, I’d be totally fine with it if it stays this way, but I suspect it will sag over time.

Have you found a case like the combo touch that you like more?
Unfortunately no. I do also own Apple's own Magic Keyboard. But, as you know it offers little protection, small trackpad, and no function keys. I also find it a little wonky to balance on my last vs. a desk/table. I've read rumors that the next Magic Keyboard for the next iPad Pro is going to have a larger trackpad. I hope it also has function keys.

A little off topic, but I do love the Zugu case (no keyboard) for lap use on my 12.9" iPad Pro.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Unfortunately no. I do also own Apple's own Magic Keyboard. But, as you know it offers little protection, small trackpad, and no function keys. I also find it a little wonky to balance on my last vs. a desk/table. I've read rumors that the next Magic Keyboard for the next iPad Pro is going to have a larger trackpad. I hope it also has function keys.

A little off topic, but I do love the Zugu case (no keyboard) for lap use on my 12.9" iPad Pro.
Yeah I considered the magic keyboard but I needed something with all-around protection as I often throw my 11 Pro in a backpack with other items.

Good to know about the Zugu. I assume it's this case (link: https://www.zugucase.com/collections/ipad-pro-11/products/ipad-pro-11-3rd-gen) but for your 12.9.

For a no-kb case I like the Torro leather case (https://torro.co.uk/products/ipad-pro-11-2020?variant=33126950338693)

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Bought a Combo Touch for my M1 11” the other day because John Lewis in the UK had some nice offers on. Not cheap cheap but came out almost £150 less than a Magic Keyboard. It’s clearly not as heavily engineered as the MK but the f-keys and variable form factors really do help. I got the newer revision with the dots for the speakers rather than the slots that sag, although interestingly the dots don’t line up with the speaker holes in the chassis.

I did see that on Reddit at one point somebody posted saying the Combo Touch case had bent and damaged their iPad, but having had a feel of the structure of the case I severely doubt that the case could ever exert enough force to bend the iPad’s chassis. I suspect that instead the iPad and case had become bent at the same time in a bag.

Aside from minor alignment issues the case is great and the keyboard is good to type on. The trackpad is good, but better with tap to click enabled. Definitely like that there is no need to charge it or use bluetooth, thus far would recommend.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
So I was looking at various second-hand photos (ebay) of the revised Logitech Combo Touch (iPad Pro 12.9) and it seems that the speaker grill areas can still warp and misshapen over time. It's a shame. I thought Logitech would have found a way to rectify the situation. I may look into a regular cover buddy/pitaka type of case with a Magic Keyboard then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.