Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalrebelxt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
I am designing a logo for our new company and would like some feedback on the design, The company is a retail development company

Thank you in advance for your help.

Have a wonderful day. :)

Matthew

dover.png

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Clean, simple, modern. I like it. :cool:

Now, the company name, on the other hand... don't know if eroding cliffs is the best name for a development company... :D

digitalrebelxt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Now, the company name, on the other hand... don't know if eroding cliffs is the best name for a development company... :D

The boss picked the name, its catching but I get where you are coming from haha.

Thank you for your comment!

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I really like the design. It's clean, simple and professional looking. All of the letters are nicely spaces and the font is good. I can't decide which one I like best though...probably the middle one because I like a bit of colour, the last one also frames it nicely.

Nice work!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I like it too. Clean and professional.

Nevertheless, I tried an experiment, to tie the slanted line of the V or R into the cliff shape, and see if it would be an eye-catching improvement or a detriment to the tidy look.

Here's my quick-and-dirty mockup. Overall, I think it's not an improvement over your original, but it was worth a try. And if the idea is of any value to you, be my guest.

Attachments

• dover.png
    dover.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 434

digitalrebelxt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Doctor Q said:
Nevertheless, I tried an experiment, to tie the slanted line of the V or R into the cliff shape, and see if it would be an eye-catching improvement or a detriment to the tidy look.

Here's my quick-and-dirty mockup. Overall, I think it's not an improvement over your original, but it was worth a try. And if the idea is of any value to you, be my guest.

Thank you for your idea, I tried that, just couldn't make it work or look right.

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Doctor Q said:
I like it too. Clean and professional.

I think that the new mock-up is a little too much; I like the original quite a bit more actually, and I wouldn't change it at all. The R is actually a nice touch I think.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
What about using Comic Sans...in pink. :p

But seriously, I think it looks good...nice and clean.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
digitalrebelxt said:
I am designing a logo for our new company and would like some feedback on the design, The company is a retail development company

Thank you in advance for your help.

Have a wonderful day. :)

Matthew

dover.png

Looks very good. But there is one thing that bugs me a little... the 'R' I think the top curve (the bowl I think its called) IMO should protrude out a little more to ALMOST not exactly align with the bottom of the diagonal leg. Thats only my first impression so it may even look crap but give it go if you agree.

As it stands the 'R' looks a little bit squashed at the top, thats just my opinion but very nice job nonetheless.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Excellent design. The only criticism I'd make is the length of the word 'development', maybe it should be the full width of the logo. However I tried it filling the width but it looks a bit too spaced out. I suppose you already went down this path.

What I particularly like about the concept is that the graphic brings to mind seagulls at first then the cliffs. And seagulls and cliffs seem to go together. Very clever.

Attachments

• dover2.jpg
    dover2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 111

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Perhaps it is just me, but I've always found it rude when other people make changes to someone else's artwork, and then upload it without being asked to do so.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Josh said:
Perhaps it is just me, but I've always found it rude when other people make changes to someone else's artwork, and then upload it without being asked to do so.
I think that I might agree with you on some occasions, especially if someone is showing off their completed magnum opus. But, when you ask for feedback and critiques, I find it helpful. Being told what might be better changed is good, but giving a quick mockup of what you are trying to put into words is even better. Even in law, where everything you do is words, it is nice to have your boss give you a sample of what he was looking for rather than being abstract.

Besides, they weren't defacing it and reposting it...it was constructive.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
nbs2 said:
I think that I might agree with you on some occasions, especially if someone is showing off their completed magnum opus. But, when you ask for feedback and critiques, I find it helpful. Being told what might be better changed is good, but giving a quick mockup of what you are trying to put into words is even better. Even in law, where everything you do is words, it is nice to have your boss give you a sample of what he was looking for rather than being abstract.

Besides, they weren't defacing it and reposting it...it was constructive.

ditto, you ask for critique your opening yourself up for other peoples suggestions & mock ups. This isn't the "everyone's a winner" forum.

backupdrummer

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
Chi town
Crisp and clean. A very sharp design. There are 3 things that I think would benefit from being experimented with.

First, the spacing seems a little cramped I would say that the wording and the Cliff icon need to be spread out a little more.

Second, Cliffs make me think vertical but the logo is very horozontal. The result is that icon looks more like a slope instead of a cliff I would look at making the icon more vertical and sharp.

Thridly, there is something about the font used on "Dover Cliff" that keeps standing out to me. It maybe the wide instead of tall nature to it. I am really having a hard time trying to vocalize what it is that is bothering me. Something about it just doesnt jive with the imagery above it. The "Development" portion is perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.