Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8thDegreeSavage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Here it is...jsut as we have all seen a long time ago.

hp_product_powermac.jpg

Bardsley

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Australia
Notice that if you go to the Australian Apple store you can get a slightly bigger picture, plus you can see multiple views of it. Lots of vents on the back. Fortunately, if you see it on an angle, those drives are a sort of shiny metal, rather than brushed metal crap.

Bardsley

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Australia
Hey, that was my first post. I didn't even notice. I've been in the background for a while, but I guess I'd never actually added my comments.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
wheres the heatsink? if you look at the gallery pics, the one with the open case shows no heatsink on the processors. whats up with that?

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
i was asking myself the same thing... the heatsink must be giant that it wouldn't look too good on a PR shot.

I wonder if they are in the apple stores. Ill go by today and take a look at them.

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by crazy_will
wheres the heatsink? if you look at the gallery pics, the one with the open case shows no heatsink on the processors. whats up with that?

the heatsink does exist they just took it of to show off the duals

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by crazy_will

Go to the Quicktime Gallery and download the quicktime VR of the inside of the machine.

http://www.apple.com/hardware/gallery/pmg4_august2002_480.html

As the machine rotates and opens up, wham, there is a HUGE heatsink, and you can see the reason for all the holes in the back. A fan is pointed onto the heatsink with the air escaping in the back.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Bigger heatsink it a lot better than switching to alternative cooling methods or using more/faster fans.

But we shall see if the new machine is quieter than the Quicksilvers.

Also having the fan suck the heat out of the optical drives is nice, since those things can generate a lot of heat when writing to media.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
did anyone else notice how big the power supply was along with the heatsink....that's why they had to move the drives to the middle of the tower....

...it's still not "growing on me"...i still think it's butt ugly

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
did anyone else notice how big the power supply was along with the heatsink....that's why they had to move the drives to the middle of the tower....

...it's still not "growing on me"...i still think it's butt ugly

I'm with you Mnkeybsness. I'm really trying to like it but its just not happening!

Bill

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
Originally posted by Bardsley
Hey, that was my first post. I didn't even notice. I've been in the background for a while, but I guess I'd never actually added my comments.

Welcome aboard, sailor ;)

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
It has already "grown on me":D Mostly because of those specs...but then again anything is better than a 9500 with a G4 and a 50mhz bus...:rolleyes:

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
I've seen it...

... in "person" yesterday" at an Apple dealer here in Berlin (the new DP1000).

Looks not too bad in real, but the most significant change: IT IS A LOT LESS NOISY THAN THE QUICKSILVERS!!!

But the performance is not noticeably better than the old DP machines. But that was what I was hoping for! :( The first benchmarks say the same so far.

To shell out a few thousand bucks just to have a quiter machine is not reasonable for me. And that the DP1250 is still 6-8 weeks away doesn't help as well.

What I gonna do now? I guess I'll stay with my DP800 still for a while and in the meantime I'll buy a DP Windows machine to do the heavy workload stuff... I really hoped I wouldn't have to, but now I really have start to work parallel on both platforms again. I really hope I can have some decent Apple workstation next year to switch back with all my tasks again.

:(

groovebuster

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.