Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
These iPads outlive the cases that were sold with.
- My iPad Air 2 still works, but the official Apple case I bought back then looks like ****. Had to throw the case away.
- My 2017 12.9 iPad Pro still works very good but the official Apple case looks like **** too. I use it without a case now since nobody sells cases for this model anymore.

So will the M1 12.9 iPad Pro suffer the same fate and has to be used without a case in the future when no cases for this model are no longer sold? For the amount of money Apple asks for their Apple Magic Keyboard, it better hold better over time than their other Apple keyboard cases.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
- My iPad Air 2 still works, but the official Apple case I bought back then looks like ****. Had to throw the case away.
- My 2017 12.9 iPad Pro still works very good but the official Apple case looks like **** too. I use it without a case now since nobody sells cases for this model anymore.
Ha, same here. This is why when I bought my iPad Air I also bought “2” Apple smart covers to go with it.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I have my doubts on the longevity of Apple cases but thankfully my preferred Zugu will hopefully last a bit longer. As usual, a third party option will save the day.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I mean, if the case lasted longer than the iPad, I'd say something is seriously wrong here

Hopefully iPads are standardised by now and will stay that way. I might have an older Pro but it's still compatible with the most recent cases, at least from Apple.

Reactions: subjonas

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021

So will the M1 12.9 iPad Pro suffer the same fate and has to be used without a case in the future when no cases for this model are no longer sold? For the amount of money Apple asks for their Apple Magic Keyboard, it better hold better over time than their other Apple keyboard cases.

Noreve make high quality leather cases, still make em for your 12.9” iPad Pro:

They add a bit of bulk but offer great protection, I’ve had a few of them over the years. But I’m thinking of getting an Apple keyboard case for my 11” Pro so will have to swap between that and my Noreve.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Case situation for the newer 12.9 iPad Pros will probably be a lot better than the older form-factor ones. I have a 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9 too and I know what you mean about the case situation. Even when they were new there really weren’t any Apple cases available. Just two colors for the Smart Cover.

My 12.9 is really showing its age though. Truly regret going for a 64GB model, and the battery has really not held up well. It’s only 3 years old (refurb model), and with 300 charge cycles is at 75% health.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’ve broken three cases for my 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

iPads’ longevity is outstanding if used for content consumption. You don’t need the latest iPad for that, and oftentimes there isn’t a whole lot of difference.

For my use case, I can use my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12 just like I use my iPad Air 5.

Reactions: G5isAlive

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
The apple cases all use the same material so chances are the longevity will be just like what you experienced.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I've got a Pad & Quill case on my 2018 iPad Pro.

I just got an email that they're having a going out of business sale. 😭

• Wow

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I suppose the lifespan of a case depends on the particular case and your usage. My 2017 2nd Gen 12.9” iPad Pro is still going strong, and my Smart Cover for it is still in very good shape, but that is probably largely because it wasn’t used a ton. I mostly used a Smart Keyboard, until the keyboard stopped working. That one frayed a little but not terrible. Wish I could replace it as it was the thinnest/lightest/best quality keyboard case you could get for this iPad, but of course you can’t buy them anymore. With some bad soldering I was able to fix the keyboard temporarily, but it stopped working again after a short while. I may or may not try again.
I suppose the moral is to buy a backup of an accessory if it’s important to you and if you plan to keep the device for the long haul.

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I have an iPad Mini 5 that I bought right after launch in 3/2019. The tablet still going strong, but it is on its 3rd case, first a cheap brown Ztorop, followed by a purple Zugu, and now back to a brown Ztorop, like the original. The pencil holder eventually failed in the first 2, but working on the 3rd. I also have had an Air 5 for just over a year. Its blue Zugu case has held up, so far.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah, i think iPads are the best value products that Apple currently makes. They last forever. I am still using my 11” 2018 iPad Pro as my main computer & content creation device. I not only draw on it, I edit large phots & videos on it as well. It hasn’t slowed down at all. I also have an iPad mini for when I wanna travel light.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Yeah, i think iPads are the best value products that Apple currently makes. They last forever. I am still using my 11” 2018 iPad Pro as my main computer & content creation device. I not only draw on it, I edit large phots & videos on it as well. It hasn’t slowed down at all. I also have an iPad mini for when I wanna travel light.
I remember sharing comments with you in 2018 about also buying one. You have a memorable avatar!

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
You just have to get stuff on Ebay. I just bought a Logitech Create Keyboard for my iPad Pro 9.7". It only cost me $30. I could still get TONS of cases and keyboards and stuff on Ebay for a 12.9" 2017.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
My 2021 iPad 12.9 Pro that I purchased in May 2021 is not holding up that well, which surprises me. The battery seems to die fairly fast and sometimes it does not even charge and I have to do a reboot.

The Magic Keyboard case has not held up well at all. It is peeling in the back from the sides and looks bad. The keyboard itself is fine. Tempted to just trade the 12.9 Pro iPad in for another one, but with maybe a new 12.9 coming out next Spring coming I was hoping to hold out for that.

Thought about getting a skin for the Magic Keyboard, but not sure it will work if it is peeling.

• Sad
Reactions: orbital~debris

M2MaxMan

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
Got the Otter case for 12.9 M2 iPad Pro and it's holding up very well. The 5th generation iPad I had with the case held up quite well, but it has been trash since no longer with the 5th gen iPad.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
My 1st gen iPad (that I pre-ordered on day 1 that pre-orders were available) is still going strong. I use it as my retro-vintage TV. I've got it loaded up with vintage tv shows and commercials that loop in a video playlist.

VTV-finished.jpg

iPad-1 in a vintage TV shell

ps866mker

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2022
IMO whats more concerning is the longevity of apps, especially games in the app store. I have a library of games that are so far still live in the app store. Once Apple or devs decide to pull it out, I can't play them anymore if I move to a new iPad. I hope Apple give us the ability to backup the actual game to external storage.

Reactions: sracer

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’ve always been ok with iPad cases. It’s iphone cases that I tend to go through. I had the OG ipad mini for 2 years. Used with the Smart Cover and it held up until I replaced it. I had the iPad mini 3 and 5 for 2 years each, both used with the official smart cases/Covers and they held up. I had the ipad air 2 for 2.5 years and used the official Smart Case, no issues. ipad pro for 3 years with the Smart Keyboard and that held up well.

My current ipad are the iPad mini 6 which I’ve had for just over 2 years and I’ve been using the Smart Case. No issues.
I have had my ipad pro 2018 for a bit over three years which I’ve used with the Magic Keyboard and that is still going strong.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada

Then buy 2 cases? If you actually plan to keep and use these as long term as this, spend a few extra bucks and get a second back up case, even if its a cheaper one, just for the added protection down the road.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

JaraCz

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
I have Apple Folio case and never had any problems with it. I have it mostly 5-8 years until I change my iPad. It still looks great. It is my second case now ..

Reactions: Jackbequickly

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
You just have to get stuff on Ebay. I just bought a Logitech Create Keyboard for my iPad Pro 9.7". It only cost me $30. I could still get TONS of cases and keyboards and stuff on Ebay for a 12.9" 2017.
How’s your 9.7-inch iPad Pro running?

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
How’s your 9.7-inch iPad Pro running?
Slowwwwwww. I didn't realize how slow until I got back my iPad Pro 12.9" 2018 from my daughter (got her a iPad Pro 12.9" 2021 from Swappa for Christmas) and DANG! the 2018 iPad Pro is SO FAST!

But it did the basics fine and streamed fine. It just does it slooooowwwww.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.