Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Nice system. I really like macOS, but there's no denying that Windows is better for gaming. I haven't seen much reason to upgrade from my 6700K yet though - perhaps in a year or two. How are you liking the 10700K? Temperatures good? What was the deciding factor vs. going with an AMD chip?

Reactions: Huntn

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Nice system. I really like macOS, but there's no denying that Windows is better for gaming. I haven't seen much reason to upgrade from my 6700K yet though - perhaps in a year or two. How are you liking the 10700K? Temperatures good? What was the deciding factor vs. going with an AMD chip?

Thanks! I am loving the 10700K. I actually ordered the 10900K but couldn't wait another 1-2 weeks for starting my build so I picked up the 10700K locally and a lower price. The performance difference between the two isn't worth the difference in price when it comes to gaming. Temps are excellent. CPU runs cool and it runs Warzone, Shadow of Tomb Raider, Control, etc without flinching. As for Intel vs AMD... really no real reason and I've been out of the PC building game for too long to care about that kind of thing :)

hieromonk

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
Hong Kong
Strongly disagree
macOS architecture & metal API makes them supreme for gaming
Stop blaming apple for developer & publisher’s fault , clearly these short sighted people only go where the moneys are

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Strongly disagree
Stop blaming apple for developer & publisher’s fault , clearly these short sighted people only go where the moneys are
I didn’t blame Apple for anything. Whether or not Apple is superior from a technical perspective, there are vastly more machines running Windows than macOS, which means more resources are going to be invested in developing games for that platform. It would be shortsighted to choose mainly on technical chops - and Apple does not yet have GPUs that support ray-tracing, has no equivalent to NVIDIA’s DLSS, nothing like the upcoming DirectStorage or RTX IO; to claim it’s shortsighted to invest in the PC market shows no awareness of what it costs to develop game engines, games, publish and market them, update them. We wouldn’t get more games if people didn’t invest in the Windows platform, we’d get fewer.

Reactions: soulreaver99

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
clearly these short sighted people only go where the moneys are
Actually smart businessmen go where the money is. Why spend a lot of money on a game port that will have at best niche exposure? Just because Metal is a better platform? That makes no sense. Macs occupy around 10% of the marketshare. Of that tiny percentage, only a small fraction of mac owners (by my estimation) is interested in gaming. This makes little sense for publishers who can live or die on a single game to spend tight resources on a platform that probably won't see a return on their investment.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Strongly disagree

metal just might be better for gaming... but that doesn't mean anything if the games I want to play aren't on the Mac.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here

Yet you can't really get a decent Mac capable of playing top title and of course, nobody is developing much for what there is. So you can have the best of whatever, makes no difference if it is not being used.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Actually smart businessmen go where the money is. Why spend a lot of money on a game port that will have at best niche exposure? Just because Metal is a better platform? That makes no sense. Macs occupy around 10% of the marketshare. Of that tiny percentage, only a small fraction of mac owners (by my estimation) is interested in gaming. This makes little sense for publishers who can live or die on a single game to spend tight resources on a platform that probably won't see a return on their investment.
Macs are no different then PC's in that consumers usually want to be entertained when using them. But we did get into a long period of Macs where Apple got overly fixated on selling mobile solutions (phones, watches, tablets) and they ignored maintaining competitive desktop/laptop/workstation solutions that people could also play games with.

There was also the cost of Macs vs PC's.

Your presently at a time where Macs are fairly usable for games. So if you are a game vendor and finally seeing MacOS looking like it has matured and not changing everything up again, this is a good time to port a game to Mac owners that don't have much to choose from.

Of course Tim and company now want to transition to Apple Silicon, so I would say the biggest impairment with Apple vs gamer companies is they can't be like Windows and develop a OS that maintains a lot of backward compatibility, no they constantly have to break things all the time to promote something else. :D

Hey soulreaver99 thanks for sharing the PC game CPU video and your thoughts. :)

Reactions: soulreaver99

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Macs are no different then PC's i
But they are different and while apple indeed markets them to consumers, not just pro users, the percentage of people wanting to play games is still low imo

this is a good time to port a game to Mac owners that don't have much to choose from
Why? You said it yourself Apple moving to its own proprietary hardware. Why would any company decide today to port a game when apple moving to a new platform?

Again we're talking about a subset of a 10% marketshare. The cost is high and the return is low.

Edit:
Let me just add with the advent of streaming and its only going to grow, it makes more sense for game publishers to push mac users to the streaming service they support. They get revenue, but not the overhead of developing games for a non-standard platform and there's no day to day overhead of maintaining games on a different platform. I foresee this being the future perhaps even on the PC side as well.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
But they are different and while apple indeed markets them to consumers, not just pro users, the percentage of people wanting to play games is still low imo

Why? You said it yourself Apple moving to its own proprietary hardware. Why would any company decide today to port a game when apple moving to a new platform?

Again we're talking about a subset of a 10% marketshare. The cost is high and the return is low.

Edit:
Let me just add with the advent of streaming and its only going to grow, it makes more sense for game publishers to push mac users to the streaming service they support. They get revenue, but not the overhead of developing games for a non-standard platform and there's no day to day overhead of maintaining games on a different platform. I foresee this being the future perhaps even on the PC side as well.
First I think any developer would be OK with grabbing additional customers from 10% marketshare. At the same time console ports (XBOXOne , PS4) have worked really well with Blizzard's battle.net players as one example.

Most sophisticated games are no longer standalone, that was abandoned years ago, as there is no way to scale the game as needed as well as provide multiplayer decently. I still look at iOS and iPad games hopelessly in a swamp, because the App Store doesn't provide for micro-transactions revenue and continuous updates that are necessary to immediately fix issues across multiple processor platforms. No I don't agree with EPIC tactics, just wrong.

I see Apple having trust issues with the "streaming" games with their mobile OS's. Hopefully we can grow out of that to a semblance of working out all those security issues as Apple has with MacOS.

Many years ago I would say consumers were much more into games, and in that light, I feel this Apple Arcade is just a big mistake and an attempt by Apple to make game playing a service they can make revenue on instead of thinking of developers out there.

For the people that build gaming PC's and configure them as hackintoshes (Duel OS), the dropped support for Nvidia is a pain. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
First I think any developer would be OK with grabbing additional customers from 10% marketshare.
Provided the cost of development isn't high but we're not talking about 10% but a subset of that. Not every single mac user plays games. Its my opinion that its a tiny percentage of that 10%. If that is the case then it makes it even harde to justify spending large amounts of money to port a game.

Most sophisticated games are no longer standalone
Agreed, but since Mac uses a completely different API, its not just as simply recompiling. Porting a game over to the Mac still involves a fair amount of work

I see Apple having trust issues with the "streaming" games
This doesn't involve Apple so it shouldn't matter. Its really up to the consumer.

Reactions: Mackilroy

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Strongly disagree
This is coming to you from a vested Mac person since 1992, and an Apple person since 1983:

Based on the reality of game development as it exists, Windows without doubt is the superior platform. If the MacOS and Mac hardware monopolized the gaming landscape, supported by developers catering to it, and Apple did not control it’s hardware, selling it for inflated prices, it could be better, but in our reality, it’s not the best choice, not even close for gaming.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Amusingly, iPhone and iOS is the premier mobile gaming platform despite Apple's tight control over the entire system (hardware & software).

The developers who develop for both iOS and Android always say that the the iOS users generate far more revenue than the Android users.

Microsoft still offers legacy 32-bit application support in Windows. Apple has decided this fate already by discontinuing 32-bit support after Mojave.

Reactions: hieromonk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.