Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Sorry everyone, I know this is technically off topic and is a longshot. But not everyone here is necessarily -just- a Mac / Apple user, so one of you might know the answer?

Last night in my home studio I was helping a client to track vocals to a simple backing she had already provided. She was questioning how I was managing to send a mix both to the Audio Technica AT2020 USB mic that her headphones were plugged into while at the same time I was listening through headphones plugged into my main Motu interface (which also feeds the studio monitors). I explained how MacOS allows you to combine multiple connected audio interfaces into one Multi-Output Device which your apps and the OS itself then address as one device. Apparently Windows has no built-in equivalent.

I am so out of touch with the Windows world. Are there any cross-platform experts out there who know of a Windows 'plug in' which offers an equivalent functionality? Apparently the DAW she uses does not allow her to output to multiple interfaces at the same time, but she wants to be able to do the same thing as me while tracking her daughter's vocals at home.

Any help much appreciated, other than 'get a Mac' (preaching to the converted here, but she appears to have already financially committed to a Windows solution).

Last edited:

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Thanks, I didn't think about ASIO4ALL, I remember having to use that 'in the bad old days' to minimize latency with VSTs on my Windows XP laptop. Without ASIO4ALL the latency was about four years. i don't remember it having the option to aggregate multiple audio devices, but it probably has been updated a dozen times in the time since I last used it.

I shall report back to my client. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.