Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I dont want to buy a mac mini for this but all i want is a computer that plays 4k in a web browser smoothly. I would go for RPi 4 but it stutters. i know it can play 4K using elec or whatever but i need in browser, any browser. I also need HDMI output

oDroid, pine64? any one has experience?

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
What is your web source? YouTube? The RPi 4 will handle h.265 4k up to 60fps ok from VLC, but it does poorly with YouTube overall, 1080P playback in fullscreen still skips sometimes for me :(. I'm sure it is because there is no acceleration for VP6 in the version of Chromium for the RPi.

If you have to playback from the web/YouTube, maybe a ChromeBox is a solution? ASUS makes one with an i3 + UHD graphics and 4GB of RAM for ~$320. There is a Celeron option for a little less:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
What is your web source? YouTube? The RPi 4 will handle h.265 4k up to 60fps ok from VLC, but it does poorly with YouTube overall, 1080P playback in fullscreen still skips sometimes for me :(. I'm sure it is because there is no acceleration for VP6 in the version of Chromium for the RPi.

If you have to playback from the web/YouTube, maybe a ChromeBox is a solution? ASUS makes one with an i3 + UHD graphics and 4GB of RAM for ~$320. There is a Celeron option for a little less:

I never had a chromebook/box , does it come with a full fledged chrome browser? does it have other browsers? Can you install on it linux?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Yes, it is a full version of Chrome.

Most Chrome devices can run Android apps, so I guess you could load another browser from the play store... but it is going to be the Android version of that browser. For a full desktop browser, you’re pretty much stuck with Chrome.

You can install Linux, but your mileage may vary: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install-ubuntu-on-chromebook#1-overview

as much as I hate google, this is the only reasonably priced device that fits my requirements. It hard to believe a smartphone can play 4k but not $200 SBC can be found to do the same. I mean for $450 you can get a complete PS4 that has 4K BD drive, a controller, power supply, casing, 1TB storage, and a powerful GPU that plays games in 4K.

Thanks for the suggestion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.