Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supergaia

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
italy
Hi
i 'm looking for a backup program ,that let me backup folders (selected by me) and singles files
i don't want to use timemachine just because i want to backup some files inside the library folder (30GB) , the files i want to backup are around 1MB

i would like to keep my backup updated

is there a good free software or a paid software ?
i just google it but i find carbon copy cloner ,but it's too much for my needs
thanks

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
Hi
i 'm looking for a backup program ,that let me backup folders (selected by me) and singles files
i don't want to use timemachine just because i want to backup some files inside the library folder (30GB) , the files i want to backup are around 1MB

i would like to keep my backup updated

is there a good free software or a paid software ?
i just google it but i find carbon copy cloner ,but it's too much for my needs
thanks

I do know about the following two command-line backup tools.

I have never used them on macOS, so use with care. You could also use tar or rsync for backup, but I wouldn't recommend that.

I know that it exist graphical frontends for Duplicity and I also think that exists for borg. Both tools can be installed with homebrew. I personally find borg to be the simplest to use from the command line.

Reactions: supergaia

supergaia

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
italy
I do know about the following two command-line backup tools.

I have never used them on macOS, so use with care. You could also use tar or rsync for backup, but I wouldn't recommend that.

I know that it exist graphical frontends for Duplicity and I also think that exists for borg. Both tools can be installed with homebrew. I personally find borg to be the simplest to use from the command line.
hi
may i know what do you use to backup folders or files?
thanks

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
hi
may i know what do you use to backup folders or files?
thanks

I use the following backup solutions for my machines:
  • I use Time Machine, since I want a full system backup thats easy to move to another Mac or recover in case of disaster. That made it quite easy for me to move all my stuff to a new mac some days ago.
  • I use deja dup (duplicity frontend) on my laptop running Fedora.
  • I use the buit-in Windows backup tool for my Windows computers.
  • I use borg for my Linux servers.
Important files is synced to my Nextcloud server which in turn is backed up to my NAS.

All of the backups are stored on my QNAP NAS, so I can access them from almost everywhere.

Reactions: supergaia

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

CCC is WHAT YOU WANT.

You DON'T have to clone the entire drive.
Just choose the "some files" option in CCC.
Then, "DE-select" things that you DON'T want copied.
This can be used to create a "selective clone" of only the home folder and other data files if you wish.

BUT...
By far, THE EASIEST WAY to keep your entire drive backed up is to just CLONE THE WHOLE THING to a backup drive.
Then... EVERYTHING will always "be right there", in finder format. No messing with Time Machine.
Just mount the backup drive, and copy what you want from it.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
OP:

CCC is WHAT YOU WANT.

You DON'T have to clone the entire drive.
Just choose the "some files" option in CCC.
Then, "DE-select" things that you DON'T want copied.
This can be used to create a "selective clone" of only the home folder and other data files if you wish.

BUT...
By far, THE EASIEST WAY to keep your entire drive backed up is to just CLONE THE WHOLE THING to a backup drive.
Then... EVERYTHING will always "be right there", in finder format. No messing with Time Machine.
Just mount the backup drive, and copy what you want from it.
Thank you so much for reminding posters of the easiest and safest option: use Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your drive! (Updating my clone right now). I learned about CCC years and years and years ago when I first joined the Apple forums and had a problem with my Dock. An experienced poster said, "Restore from your backup." What backup? I replied and then I was schooled. If only all Macs came with an external drive and a commitment to clone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.