Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
London
I purchased an iPad Air 5 today. It comes with the USB C cable and a USB C charger. I don’t really want to buy another charger as I have four of the 10W iPad chargers that came with my Air 3 floating around the house, so I’m looking for (I think) a USB A to USB C cable. I can’t seem to find one made by Apple. Can anyone help me please with what I need to look for. I am sorry but this is my first USB C device and I’m just very confused. Thank you .

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Anker makes USB-A to USB-C cables. Apple doesn’t make those afaik.

Do note, using the 10-12W charger would take much longer to charge as I believe they’ll only charge at 5-7.5W when using older chargers.

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
London
Anker makes USB-A to USB-C cables. Apple doesn’t make those afaik.

Do note, using the 10-12W charger would take much longer to charge as I believe they’ll only charge at 5-7.5W when using older chargers.
Thank you. It’s only really for a spare way to charge. I’ll take a look at Anker

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
London
If it were me, I'd pony up the $19 for a USB-C 20w charger. Buying a USB-A to USB-C cable is spending money on soon-to-be-obsolete technology.
Thank you. Another charger and cable is still an option it’s just this iPad is the only usb c thing I have. I have three more iPads and three iPhones in the house, plus a Mac, which all take lightening/usb.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If it were me, I'd pony up the $19 for a USB-C 20w charger. Buying a USB-A to USB-C cable is spending money on soon-to-be-obsolete technology.

The Air 5 already ships with that and USB-C cable so there’s no need to buy another one.

Personally, I carry a RAVPower charger similar to this for travel:

1x USB-C to USB-C cable
1x USB-C to Lightning cable
1x USB-A to Lightning cable
1x USB-A Apple Watch cable

Very convenient for charging multiple devices at the same time.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008

Yep, the USB-C iPads don't support Apple 2.1/2.4 charging.

Instead, they use USB BC as a fallback. But, there's nothing wrong with that if a fast charge isn't needed.

I've found my '20 Pro tops out at 15W with the 65W Ravpower Pioneer 136, aka "Rolvse" 65W [cough].

But with the right combination of adapter/cable, it will max out at ~27W.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yep, the USB-C iPads don't support Apple 2.1/2.4 charging.

Instead, they use USB BC as a fallback. But, there's nothing wrong with that if a fast charge isn't needed.

True, just figured a warning would be useful. Trying to full charge the Air 5 with USB-A will probably take 5+ hours.

I've found my '20 Pro tops out at 15W with the 65W Ravpower Pioneer 136, aka "Rolvse" 65W [cough].

But with the right combination of adapter/cable, it will max out at ~27W.

I think my 2021 Pro tops out at around 36W with the RAVPower (if there are no other devices plugged in).

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
You can buy 30w USB C chargers for as low as $9 on amazon these days. I recently upgraded every brick in my home. Well worth it - faster charging is really noticeable on all devices. Ditch everything USB A you won’t regret it.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Depending on your needs, you can get inexpensive adapters like this which you would leave on your cables. I have at least one of each to ease my transition to USB-C.

Plug USB-A cable into a USB-C port

Plug USB-C cable into a USB-A port.

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
London
Thank you everyone for your help. I’ve also got some Amazon basics cable for USB C to USB A, they work to charge my ne ipad with the 10w chargers. I tried over the weekend and it works fine but I’ll probably get another 20w charger and a couple of cables, just so I’ve got more than one set for USB C.

Reactions: darngooddesign
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.