Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
My 100€ Moto C Plus just died, after 2¾ yrs, so looking for a cheap replacement. BTW, was an awful phone (experience).
Only using it for the odd phone call, text message, Signal messages, and receiving verification codes for banking etc.
Assuming that under 200€/$ Android phones won't receive security for very long nor Android updates, would a refurb 6s/SE(2016) make more sense (for me)?
Security wise, is an out of date iPhone 'safer' thatn an out of date Android?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

PS: or should I think: it'll last only me 2 yrs, so better get a SE2020 (from 459€ here) which would last me 5 yrs?

Last edited:

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Of those going with a 7 would be best as it should get at least 2 more years of software and security updates (although Apple seems to be offering security updates for devices left behind on iOS 12, so there's a chance you get security updates for an extra year). If you can swing the cost of a 2020 SE though it should receive software and security updates for a full 5 years from now (although you might have to spring for a battery replacement at some point in there).

Last edited:
Reactions: strawbale

Rock_Artist

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
I have an 2016 SE and just got a 2020 SE. The main reason was that I had a 16GB SE.
With apps 'updating' and adding features. my 16GB would get full mostly by the OS and Apps getting bigger with time.

Performance: I must say I don't notice that SE2020 is so much different. I don't play games. I mostly do basic web-browsing, e-mails, navigation and social media communication.
The iPhone SE2016 was a little less 'snappy' especially when apps are opened the first time after being closed by the OS (eg. Outlook). but it's not like a difference between iPhone 4 to iPhone 6S/SE :)

So here are my few cents:

* If you continue with Apple, get 64GB or better.
* Future proof - the iPhone 7 uses the same CPU as the iPad 2019. So it's most likely to get pass iOS 14 vs SE/6S.
* iPhone 7 is known to have an audio-chip issue. you should check that before getting one.

On the Android side, you can look at Xiaomi A3/A2 that have Android One.
Though, before the SE I had N4/N7/N5X all from Google. none of them got updates for so long or survived so well like the SE2016.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.