Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FoamCup

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2016
I cannot decide on which computer monitor to buy for a 2013 Mac Pro that I will be getting soon. Either way, I will still have to wait until next month to get a custom configured Mac Pro, which will be my very first custom Mac. There is a rumor going on that says there might be a new, new Mac Pro. Until then, I am saving up.

I am looking at several computer monitors. I would like one Ultra Wide and one 5K.

For the Ultra Wide, I was thinking of going with the LG 34UM88-P with TB. I am not sure if I am able to use the Thunderbolt connection/port as a display connection and not a data connection. There are also mixed reviews on the monitor.

As for 5K, I was thinking of either the Dell UP2715K or the LG UltraFine 5K.

FoamCup

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2016
good to mention what the use case of the displays will be.
this site is good http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Dang it! I always leave out the important information.

I will be having multiple apps open and I do not think that one screen is enough. I can work with multiple apps open and be more productive. Oh, and media consumption, too.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
The 27 inch size is nice; plus a second monitor. If you need excellent quality displays, I have used the LG 27EA83 for years and now a HP Z27q 5K for critical work, and the Dell P2214H as a second display rotated to portrait mode for menus and finder windows. These were the best value/performance for the buck for me at the time. The excellent landscape and second portrait monitor is great for the video editing workflow I do on the 2013 Mac Pro. I am now using the 27EA83 with my rMBP (mDP), 2008 MacPro (DVI), and OTA receiver (HDMI) as it conveniently has all three video inputs.

Another decent source of display discussion is: https://hardforum.com/forums/displays.78/

Life is a compromise, and there are plenty of fine displays at lower price points. Look at newegg, amazon, B&H sites for reviews. Monitors that rotate to portrait mode are less common, but my combination gives me a lot of display space in a small desktop foot print. Going much larger in a single display for work, its gets harder to see the corners... although a larger display is nice for viewing video at a comfortable distance. These are subjective considerations, and may not work for you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.