Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
I am looking for a pad of some sort for my 17" mbp. Something fairly small but not a pos fan cooler for a plastic laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Rain Design makes a few items that have worked.

Remember, you really don't want something with fans as they have a tendency to blow dust into your notebook, which isn't good for a variety of reasons.

If you are going to use fans, find a solution that blows the air surrounding the vents outwards (i.e. removing the warm/hot air) as opposed to upwards or inwards.

Depending on where you use your notebook (desk, lap, small desk) you can look into something like Bluelounge's Cool Feet.

This also could be avoided by simply just changing the way you use your notebook (fan management, app management or notebook placement.)

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
I am looking for a pad of some sort for my 17" mbp. Something fairly small but not a pos fan cooler for a plastic laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I use the targus chill mat and really like it, the bottom is made of neoprene so its comfortable. A $35 cooling pad is a small fraction of what the laptop cost.

Edit: I have the 17" and the cooler is exactly as wide as the laptop.

ljones

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
After a week with my chill mat, I have to say the fans DO make a difference. If i work without it, things are warmer, from the bottom to the top case. With the fans on, the temp is definitely lower.

I'd say its worth the cost, whether its needed, thats another debate.

sandylp

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
I have tried many laptop pads with my 15" mbp, and none have really worked for me until I got the iLap from Rain Design. You can see for yourself on this YouTube video. It's a bit expensive ($55) but it's made of aluminum, which helps to absorb the heat, and no fans, which are useless on the mbp because the vents are in the back and not the bottom. It's very lightweight and comfortable.:)

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
In all honesty laptop coolers don't work very well for any Mac portable. The reason being is that the fans don't actually get into your computer. They just sit underneath and cool the metal casing off on bottom. Sure, this seemingly helps heat transfer from the computer through the bottom of the case, but in all reality it doesn't. My tarsus chill mat only makes about a 2C difference for me.

However, chill pads are still nice to use if you ever work on your bed or something that could block the heat vents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.