Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Like when did Apple pull the audio in on their stuff? I thought that the Mac mimi was still equipped. Turns out I have NOTHING from Apple with an audio in. Even the Olympus VP-10 that I have doesn't have an audio input, even though it's a 'recorder'.

I don't need many inputs, one really, the 1/4". Don't need phantom power. Can't believe that I don't have anything that will record using a mic. Wow...

Thanks...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
There are almost literally tons of interfaces and wading through the reviews is pretty crazy, as reviews usually are.

The local Guitar Center has the PreSonus Audiobox, and Focusrite Solo (and 2i2) available. These start at $100!

This kind of audio equipment is out of my knowledge base. Should I be looking at different brands? Are these overkill? Is there something that would work that wouldn't be so expensive. And I thought my older MacBook Pro was one that still had the audio-in, but it's a Retina and no. *sigh*

Basically these seem to be aimed more to people doing actual sound recording for bands and such where I need something to get basic sound into a mac. No mixing, no Pro Tools, etc...

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You didn't say what microphone you're trying to connect but from your "Don't need phantom power" comment I can only conclude that it's likely a dynamic mic of some sort.

All mics have a different output level so to do things right you need an interface with a input level knob…which you'll adjust according to the level of what you're recording.

You can probably find a cheap USB sound adapter on Amazon that doesn't have an input level knob but I do NOT recommend that for a microphone.

I see that currently Amazon has this one on sale for $20 less than the other resellers:

It does have phantom power that you don't need but it'll be there if you decide to get a condenser mic in the future. It's USB bus powered, also, so you don't need to worry about connecting it to power.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Like when did Apple pull the audio in on their stuff? I thought that the Mac mimi was still equipped. Turns out I have NOTHING from Apple with an audio in. Even the Olympus VP-10 that I have doesn't have an audio input, even though it's a 'recorder'.

I don't need many inputs, one really, the 1/4". Don't need phantom power. Can't believe that I don't have anything that will record using a mic. Wow...

Thanks...
what kind of mic? Brand?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
what kind of mic? Brand?

KNA, the one with the knob.

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 3.18.36 PM.jpg

I found a Scosche adapter model CAAP-SP that seems like it might work. And got the royal treatment at Staples, paying $43.00 for something listed for $40.00 on their own store. Oh well... Haven't hooked it up yet. Supposedly it works on iPads and the sales droid mumbled that 'It works on Apple'. Okay...

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 3.24.30 PM.jpg

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Yeah. Use a standard mike will have no troubles

I can't. I need a 'contact microphone' to record the bearing noise I'm experiencing. A 'normal mic' won't do.

Basically I have to, as an analogy, convert an acoustic guitar to electric. The support 'engineers' want to HEAR the noise that the bearings seem to be making. I've got round and round now trying to get this done. And like @BrianBaughn said, this isn't what I need, or more precisely, I need MORE than I have.

The KNA needs a pre-amp to be able to be heard by any audio interface. And the Scosche isn't a great device to do it either. Directions are nearly completely nonexistent. Their support said 'plug it in, and it works'. Well, it's not that easy. Some software would have helped, some software recommendations would be even more helpful. I may have to buy/borrow/steal a more 'commercial quality' audio interface. Oy!!

It's almost comical that it's turned out to be so difficult. (I even thought of borrowing an electric stethoscope, but those things are eye wateringly expensive and I doubt someone would let me borrow one. I wouldn't!:oops::cool:)

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
What you have is a KNA piezo instrument pickup.

Yeah…you haven't hooked it up to that yet. Because when you do you'll find out it's not what you need.

Good luck.

Apparently I need a pre-amp for that mic. I didn't figure that into the process, and was actually hoping to avoid needing/using one.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The interface you got doesn't seem to me to have an input at all. A headphone jack is an output.

The Behringer I linked to above has a preamp built in.

On the website, that Scosche 'thing' is being marketed as an interface for iPads/iOS to use with mic'ed headphones/headsets, so it's bidirectional/ambidextrous. The KNA is just what I was looking for, I just need more to make it work. Worst Try has nothing in stock locally, and the Geetar Center is kinda skimpy too. But, unfortunately, I have to shelve this for a bit and will get back to it. It's still so crazy to me, for some reason, how complicated this is getting, but then I'm not a sound engineer or musician either. 'How would normal people know what to do?' Apparently nothing about this is anywhere close to 'normal', which is a place I should feel much more comfortable being in. :cool:

EDIT: I think I have a pre-amp from one of those 'solder yourself' kits, but will have to find it. I did a lot of them over the early pandemic. It's pretty cool to take a pile of parts and make something out of it. *shrug* Beats pacing the cage I guess...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The Behringer Uphoria that Brian linked to, seems as it could be the best way to go.

BTW, you DON'T want to plug the phone plug from the "mic" into the "instr" input (at least, I don't think it's the first choice).

Instead, it goes into the "center opening" of the mic/line input, I believe.
But if that doesn't work, try the other input.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Just bought a 'Focusrite Scarlett 2i2', and not that I'd call it inexpensive exactly, but it works brilliantly and I'm impressed with it, so far. I did download the Ableton Lite recording software, and it's far too complicated for what I want to do, but, of all things, Voice Memo works with the 2i2! I was kind of surprised, not knowing what to expect.

It's kind of creepy that the 2i2 is a 'mass storage device', and installs software the moment it's pulled in apparently. But it works better than I thought!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.