Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
well, i am anticipating the release of Madden 08 and TW 08, which are supposed to come out this month. i was looking for a good controller, preferably the style of the new PS3 controllers. i found some on eBay, but non of them say that they are compatible with Mac.

anyone know where i can find a good one?

SiCbe

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2006
Belgium, Maaseik
I'm just using my old ps2 controller. I bought this ps2-to-usb port adapter thingy and hooked up the old ps2 controller with my mac :). works great.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
You absolutely cannot go wrong with the xbox 360 wired controller. Those things are comfortable as I've seen since the Gamecube controller.

You can find a driver here.

But if you're dead set on Playstation style carpal tunnel (sorry but Playstation controllers are some of the most uncomfortable trash I've seen in a long time) Red Octane makes a PS2 to USB adapter you can find here. Might be able to find cheaper ones elseware.

Otherwise Logitech usually makes solid controllers, and as long as they are USB should work fine on your mac.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
360 Wired :)

I'm using it now, powerful motors, better shoulder buttons/triggers, comfier. Only £17 online too.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
cool, thanks for the suggestions.

honestly, i never played an XBOX 360, so i never used the controller. i will look into it tho.

rspd

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
Logitech USB RumblePad 2 Problems?

Hello to all. I am a 1st time MacRumors member and I could really do with your help. I have purchased the Logitech USB Rumblepad 2 but I cannot get it to work even with the use of USB Overdrive X. I tried to get it to work on Stuntcar mania, a demo game available to the Mac but nothing doing. I bought this so I could play old C64 games on my mac. I also tried to get it working on a Jets n Guns game demo and although I got the directional buttons working on the pad with the USB overdrive, I cannot get the shoot or action buttons to function at all. Please, is there anybody out there that can help me?

Thanks for your help,
rspd

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Is using software really necessary? I was using an old (c.2001) Microsoft Sidewinder game pad with some games playing inside DOSBox. All I had to do with plug it in before launching DOSBox and it worked fine, although I could only use two buttons. In the game, it didn't need more than 2, so it really wasn't that big of a deal, and I may need software to overcome that. But in regular games, do you need some software to make it work?

rspd

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
Hi David
I originally tried to make it work without any software cos supposedly you don't require software with this device...nothing doing. I don't know if it is a faulty pad I've bought or why I cannot get the action buttons to work on it. I am at a total loss. Perhaps you could tell me of some freeware games that definitely worked for you with a USB pad so I can try them out before I ask for a refund on the gamelpad. Thanks for the reply.

rspd

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I was playing Commander Keen under DOSBox. It takes some time to get it set up if you've never messed around with DOSBox, so you may want to look at something else. I would try some other games, but I'm cleaning up in here and I don't have any place *safe* to set my MacBook, so it's tucked away nicely for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.