Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
I cant upgrade my old phone and was just curious if there is a more cost effective way to use voip with a registered # on my old 3gs.

Its hard to figure it out in the app store - almost every app is for a newer version of ios. Why they don't filter that out is kind of disappointing.. but also why I figured to try asking in here.

I have been looking into google voice. The official app requires ios6. Ive heard there are 3rd party apps that work with it too.

Does anyone have any ideas on what apps I may want to try here?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Don't believe there are any 3rd party apps that work with Google Voice anymore as they disabled access to that earlier this year. That said, between the Google Voice and Google Hangouts apps you should be able to use it to make and receive calls.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
The 3GS does run iOS6. There was some talk that it runs better than iOS5 but probably depends on what you do

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I cant upgrade my old phone and was just curious if there is a more cost effective way to use voip with a registered # on my old 3gs.

Its hard to figure it out in the app store - almost every app is for a newer version of ios. Why they don't filter that out is kind of disappointing.. but also why I figured to try asking in here.

I have been looking into google voice. The official app requires ios6. Ive heard there are 3rd party apps that work with it too.

Does anyone have any ideas on what apps I may want to try here?

Uh, why can't you update?

Just connect to iTunes and click "Restore". You'll immediately get access to Skype, Google Voice, and about 99% of all the other apps out there.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
I already tried to upgrade. I had it working on ios6, but it lost the ability to connect to the cell phone carrier. Its a known issue here apparently (in Costa Rica) things always seem to work a little oddly here. Anyways, the # just renewed so I guess Im on with them for another year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.