Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Im about to get broadband and I want to get a wireless router that will work with my Powerbook, any suggestions on what works good.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
The Belkin routers do a good job. Straight forward to setup and no problems with it in over 6 months.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
You can get the Airport Express by Apple, or get a Linksys WRT54G (what I have)
Works very well for me. I haven't tried the AE at home, so I'd definitely recommend the Linksys.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
ortuno2k said:
You can get the Airport Express by Apple, or get a Linksys WRT54G (what I have)
Works very well for me. I haven't tried the AE at home, so I'd definitely recommend the Linksys.
Do the Linksys routers have setup software for Macs?

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
MacNut said:

I never tried using the software on my Mac. I didn't even use the software to install it.
And you don't need it either. Just plug it in with an ethernet cable and configure it with safari.
ALL Linksys routers have an IP of 192.168.1.1 with the password as admin.
Of course, you should change at least the password when you set it up.

No need for the software.

Just open safari and type that address and there you go. I warn you, you should have at least a slight idea of how to configure a router and/or networking.

Otherwise, if you have a PC, use the CD to run the wizard and off you go.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
MacNut said:
No I have same router in question. But it's performance is great and as is it's value as a wireless router. For some reason WEB passwords won't work with a mac (at least thats what I was told by the manufacture, then again they told me none of their products could work with a mac which was a lie). At least it didn't work with any of mine so I used MAC filtering to block out other people from using my network . Other than that its a great router and puts out a pretty strong signal throughout my house. But as the poster above me said use this IP address in your web browser (192.168.1.1) with the password as admin (a preset). If you want to use the CD do the install on a friend's PC laptop or a spare desktop. Anyway even if you use the CD you'll still need to config the router using the IP address above, so no one can steal your wireless broadband. Trust me use MAC filtering(that name has nothing to do with apple computers) and manually add devices or have the router detect which hardware can go on your network.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
I have a WRT54G v.5 aswell. When I first got it, it sucked it slowed my internet from 6mbps down to dialup speeds and also would just completely stop working for no reason. I flashed the 1.0.4 firmware and it works great now, so if you get this router make sure you install the latest firmware.

Also I had problems with wep and connecting to my wrt54g adding a $ sign before the wep address when you connect to it solved the problems for me. But I dont use wep anymore so it isint a problem.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
BakedBeans said:
ive never got on with anything other than apples own routers - the software just works so well with it.

my recommendation is an airport express - never miss a beat

Agreed. Airport Express is flawless.

Had 3 Belkin wireless routers die (well the wireless part anyway). Switched to Linksys and did the same. Linksys support is terrible (well this side of the atlantic anyway).

Apple works everytime for me and I wish I hadn't wasted my money on those other brands.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Linksys WRT54G

The Linksys WRT54G. Works flawlessly. Plus, you can install Linux on it and get even more functinality.

I also have an Airport Express that I mostly use as a range extender and connected to the stereo system in my room.

I would reccomend both, but I think you get more functionality and value out of the linksys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.