Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaowMaow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2023
Hello all! I need a mac mini hub that includes a power port...I like the Satechi, but the problem is, it would require me to plug in the power cord each time. Basically, I move my mini between my two offices that each have their own monitor/mouse/keyboard. My goal is to plug in only one cable each time I connect my mini to each office. But I can't find any that allow you to connect the power to the doc. I have no problem buying a second power cord I just don't want to plug it into my mini every time I plug it into the doc. Petty, I know, but my windows laptop has a port that allows this so all I have to do is plug in one connection. Unless the Satechi does have this function and I missed it? Please let me know your thoughts!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If all you're going to use the hub for is to connect the keyboard and mouse... and perhaps an external USB3 drive... you might be able to get away with a relatively basic, non-powered hub.

But realize up-front that a non-powered hub has limitations (on the number of devices you can connect). But again, for just keyboard/mouse it should be fine.

This is one of the few times I'd suggest a non-powered hub (over a powered one).
But if you want to splurge for a powered hub, that's ok, too.

MaowMaow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2023
Thanks! Ya I’m specifically looking for a powered hub. I’m not worried about cost, I just want the convenience of only plugging in one connector every time I move between my clinic rooms. I mainly use my Mac for patient charting so all I’m connecting is my monitor, mouse, keyboard, and power. But one less step every 15 minutes will save me a lot of time over the course of the day!

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Hello all! I need a mac mini hub that includes a power port...I like the Satechi, but the problem is, it would require me to plug in the power cord each time. Basically, I move my mini between my two offices that each have their own monitor/mouse/keyboard. My goal is to plug in only one cable each time I connect my mini to each office. But I can't find any that allow you to connect the power to the doc. I have no problem buying a second power cord I just don't want to plug it into my mini every time I plug it into the doc. Petty, I know, but my windows laptop has a port that allows this so all I have to do is plug in one connection. Unless the Satechi does have this function and I missed it? Please let me know your thoughts!
The Mac Mini can't be powered through a USB-PD connection to one of the USB-C ports. It can only be powered with its own power cord. You will have to connect at least 2 cords, on AC power & one to the hub, each time you move your computer.

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
Seems like your best bet is get an unpowered hub, or one with power but the power is optional. That is, it can be driven through the USB port alone if you're just hooking up a kbd and mouse. One fewer wire you have to plug in. But if you ever need to plug in an external drive or want to charge your phone, then you can use the power plug.

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Similar issue for my offices as well, just went ahead and bought another Mac mini for the second office, and use Tresorit to mirror files (which works great BTW).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.