Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ytech

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
Hey,
looking for a recommended ide for osx that supports java , c++ as well as c# .
I should mention that I am familiar with xcode and eclipse and I am looking for something else.

Thanks

estorstenson

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
I use BBEdit for C++ development, but it's more an editor than a full IDE. Depending on which IDE features you rely on, it may have them. I tend to turn most of that stuff off because I find it distracting.

I use PyCharm for python development, and they have tools for C++ and C# (and probably Java). It's generally unobtrusive and does a good job of giving visual cues for typos or whitespace issues which is helpful. (have a look at https://www.jetbrains.com/ ) I tried their C++ IDE out back when it was still in Beta and wasn't impressed, but I'm sure they've improved it.

Years ago, I used NetBeans for C++. It was originally designed for Java and might have support for C# now. There were some problems with a few releases made after Oracle bought Sun, and I quit using it. I have no idea what it's like now. It was kinda bloated, but not nearly as bad as Eclipse.

Reactions: ytech

JoeInMilwaukee

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
Years ago, I used NetBeans for C++. It was originally designed for Java and might have support for C# now. There were some problems with a few releases made after Oracle bought Sun, and I quit using it. I have no idea what it's like now. It was kinda bloated, but not nearly as bad as Eclipse.

I totally agree about Eclipse being bloated! My company uses it for C development, but I can only think of two reasons why:

1. Cross-platform support (OS X and Windows).
2. It's free. :rolleyes:

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I totally agree about Eclipse being bloated! My company uses it for C development, but I can only think of two reasons why:

1. Cross-platform support (OS X and Windows).
2. It's free. :rolleyes:
Let me add a 3rd reason: 'they' listen to you.
When you file a (well documented) bug on their bugzilla, it is repaired in short time.
I had bad experiences with some other IDE's.
And I've been using Eclipse ever since 911 (coincidence).
;JOOP!

ytech

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2015
Have you looked at Visual Studio Code? It's lightweight, fast and native and has plugins to support most languages (including C++, C# and Java)

It's also free :)
I am familiar with Visual Studio Code , I used it for a while for C++ development . In my opinion its cute and very comfortable . but it doesn't give you a full ide solution like visual studio and other ides.

Reactions: Phil A.

JoeInMilwaukee

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
Let me add a 3rd reason: 'they' listen to you.
When you file a (well documented) bug on their bugzilla, it is repaired in short time.
I had bad experiences with some other IDE's.
And I've been using Eclipse ever since 911 (coincidence).
;JOOP!

Agreed, the response to Eclipse bug reports is generally excellent. Another advantage is that Eclipse won't "go out of business" and leave you hanging. My company used to use CodeWright for C development on Windows. A really great IDE but it folded around 2003.

mbpowner

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
Hmm what about text editors such as sublime text?

Then you just save as x.java or x.py (for python) etc? Where x is the filename

Helpfixit

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2015
Have a look at code runner:

https://coderunnerapp.com/

IMG_4286.jpg
IMG_4285.jpg

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
Have you looked at Visual Studio Code? It's lightweight, fast and native and has plugins to support most languages (including C++, C# and Java)

It's also free :)

That's not really an IDE.. it's a text editor.

IDE wise if you're willing to pay I highly suggest JetBrains products - I'm using IntelliJ now, but, they have an IDE for most languages and they are IMO industry best..

They even have a new one for Swift and a cross platform C# IDE :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.