Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
I'm not sure if this is the right subforum, but here goes:
I'm looking for a scanner that can take at least A1 (≈23x33").

It's really hard to find these kind of scanners, and when I think I do, they are printers instead. Or they need a separate PC to work. Or something else.
When looking at the regular brands (Epson, Canon, HP) I can't find any obvious choices.

Criterias:
- Mac compatible
- Color
- 600 dpi
- At least A0

Any suggestions?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
You’re probably looking for something like a Canon Colortrac Roll Scanner. They use USB 3.0, 1200 DPI and have a 42 inch scan range.

However, cost $6K plus so are a decent investment.

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2001
You’re probably looking for something like a Canon Colortrac Roll Scanner. They use USB 3.0, 1200 DPI and have a 42 inch scan range.

However, cost $6K plus so are a decent investment.
Thanks Wells!
I have looked at the Colortrac but it's quite mysterious about what model I need. Also, I can't find out if they are Mac-compatible. Do you know?

I know the price is steep, I'd prefer something 2-3K if possible. But if 6K is what it takes then so be it (noodles and water is not that bad, really 😜).

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
It appears the only way to get what you want is with a "roll scanner" – and virtually all of them only work when combined with a large format printer.

The Canon imagePROGRAF TA-20 MFP is the cheapest one I came across. It's Mac and iOS compatible and has a 600 dpi, 26 x 109" / 66 x 276.9 cm scanning area.

Unfortunately, you need a large area for the entire printer/scanner setup. There are other roll scanners out there that are "just a scanner", but they all seem to be Windows only.

That being said, if you find one of these stand-alone roll feed scanners that is Windows only at the price you like, you could just buy a copy of Parallels to run Windows on your Mac for when you need to use the scanning software. Also, it is possible that the scanning module works with basic functionality with Apple's ImageCapture app and no other software.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.