Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I am looking for a point & shoot. Whatever I get must have aperture priority and manual modes, cost less than $300, and be able to fit into my pocket. The Sony DSC-WX500 and Nikon Coolpix S9900 both meet those criteria. What experience do any of you have with those cameras, and are there any others that fit my parameters.

Thank you for your imput.

Last edited:

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
depending on what you want, the Camera + app is $2.99 and gives you manual control over the iPhone camera.

You will need a lot of light. I suppose you could manual slave a cheap flash like a Yongnuo 560. That puts you well under budget if your phone camera gets it done, AND it fits in your pocket.

To me, any point and shoot that fits in your pocket is going to be in that ballpark anyway. If willing to give up the pocket requirement (or very large pockets), I would haunt craigslist for a good used DSLR (okay, okay, or mirrorless) APSC/M43 solution. That way the system could grow with you if it needed to.

lvar

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
NL
I'm making an assumption here, and that is always dangerous; You have at least a DSLR or mirrorless and are used to a relative good output of quality from that camera.

The quality of a point and shoot in that pricerange will probably never match what you are used to.

I made the mistake of expecting/hoping so once. I bought a higher end P&S with manual controls and all. I had high hopes which kept being squashed. The camera was not so much the problems but my ideas of what it should do were.

Don't fall in the same trap as I did; as long as you are expecting the output to be slightly better that that of your mobile phone you are good. If you expect it to be only marginally less than that of your DSLR/mirrorless you will be disappointed.

If you need small and good quality I would look for a small mirrorless with good lens, or something completely different maybe like a DxO One.

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Good point @Ivar.

I have a Sony RX100 MKiii. Arguably one of the best P&S cameras available today.

I also shoot full frame on a Leica M9, Sony A7RII. I am a little disappointed in the RX100 IQ and desperately want a carry everywhere solution with closer quality to that of the full frames I use - ideally without having to spend a few grand on another camera. However, I would say that to spend so little on a P&S when you put out such quality from your other camera is a potential recipe for disappointment.

If you could increase your budget a little more, maybe consider the Panasonic LX100 or the RX100 as they are pretty much the best P&S cameras out there today. An older generation RX100 can be had for almost your current budget. A MKII or III is a very good option if you must have a P&S but.... you will want more at some point... :)

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
My first stop would be the Rx100's or Lx100

Also worth a look might be the GM1 or GM5 M4/3 cameras (interchangeable lens, but very small).

Suspended
Dec 30, 2015
Orlando, FL
The Canon G16 is a couple years old now so beware of a pending update but it's been a good point and shoot for us while Sony mirrorless are our primaries. The G16 is a smaller sensor at 1/1.7" but it shoots RAW and has a fast bright lens and it's macro capabilities are excellent. Solid build too.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I ended up passing on a P&S. I know I will never get anything close to the quality of my DSLR, but that was not the point. I ended up looking at the Canon SX720 HS. I just could not justify spending that much over the budget for those "just in case" moments.

In the meantime, however, my wife got me a new lens that is designed based on the lens made by Charles Chevalier that Daguerre used on his cameras. It is extremely cool, and much better than a P&S, even if I cannot put it in my pocket. It has also forced me to go back and relearn a lot of stuff I forgot when I started shooting digitally. Here is the link for those that are interested: https://shop.lomography.com/en/lens...rt-lens/daguerreotype-achromat-art-lens-brass

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I ended up passing on a P&S. I know I will never get anything close to the quality of my DSLR, but that was not the point. I ended up looking at the Canon SX720 HS. I just could not justify spending that much over the budget for those "just in case" moments.

In the meantime, however, my wife got me a new lens that is designed based on the lens made by Charles Chevalier that Daguerre used on his cameras. It is extremely cool, and much better than a P&S, even if I cannot put it in my pocket. It has also forced me to go back and relearn a lot of stuff I forgot when I started shooting digitally. Here is the link for those that are interested: https://shop.lomography.com/en/lens...rt-lens/daguerreotype-achromat-art-lens-brass

Looks interesting. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it when it arrives.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I alreay got it. I spent last weekend getting a feel for it, and spent a few hours yesterday using it at a 19th century villiage museum. It seemed like the right setting for a 19th century lens. I'll look at the images later today.

Reactions: kenoh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.