Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey all,
I have a unique situation here that I'm hoping to be able to get some data back and save time.

In December I upgraded from, iPhone 7 Plus to an iPhone 12 Pro Max. As part of this process I restored an iCloud backup of the 7 Plus to the new phone, and for the most part it was fine. Recently this month I discovered some of the data got corrupted and was causing one of my apps to crash, and the only way to fully fix the problem was to restore the phone. While I have the new configuration setup now, and everything is working as expected. I don't want to use the traditional method to restore from the iCloud backup of the phone now, because it would also restore the data I needed to have gone to fix the problem. I have some custom ringtones, and alerts in the backup that I created / downloaded that i would like to pull out of the backup to save time. I can always recreate the ringtones, and redownload the sounds, but it would be nice if I could get them out of the backup if possible.

If anyone has a reliable solution on doing this, I would love to hear it.

Thanks

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
An iOS management app called iMazing is popular on a troubleshooting website I follow, MacInTouch. I don't use it myself but a lot of the people on MacInTouch who like it have given me good advice in the past.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
An iOS management app called iMazing is popular on a troubleshooting website I follow, MacInTouch. I don't use it myself but a lot of the people on MacInTouch who like it have given me good advice in the past.

Thanks, I found the app listing on MacUpdate. Will contact the developer to see if the app actually does what I'm looking for. Based on the description, it sounds like it's for working with devices locally, and not for connecting to iCloud to look at and grab backed up data independent of the device. This is what I'm looking to do. Connect to iCloud get the backup with the corrupted data, and open it and extract the sounds. The sounds weren't what was broken, so they can be re-synced normally without problems.

I'll let you know how things turn out. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.