Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woppe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
I wish to use time machine with a network attached disk at home, by connecting to it over the Internet.

I got the basics covered:

I'm looking for a router that has NAS capabilities, with support for HFS+ file system since that is required for time machine to work. Airport extreme is an option so far. But there's one more thing I need: dyndns (or similar) client.

I've found the openWRT software, which may be installed on some routers and gives them HFS+- and dyndns-support. Unfortunately, it has not been updated since 2006...
DDWRT is a similar software which still updates, but it lacks the HFS+-support.

So... Do you know any router that satisfies the following?
  • NAS with HFS+-support, preferably over the apf-protocol
  • DynDNS-support or similar

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It's not clear what you want to do? Make a disk drive available over the Internet? You will need a very fast Internet connection for that. Most people would use FTP to move files over the Internet. What's the "big picture" maybe there is a better why to do what you need.

Why do all these features need to be built into the router? You can run the dynamic DNS update client on any computers that is on your local network, the disk is the same, it can be shared from any computer.

If you want everything on one device then you may have to use a computer to run all the services and configure it as a routers with muliple network interfaces

Woppe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
It's not clear what you want to do? Make a disk drive available over the Internet? You will need a very fast Internet connection for that. Most people would use FTP to move files over the Internet. What's the "big picture" maybe there is a better why to do what you need.
Yes, I want to make a disk drive, HFS+-formatted, available over the Internet. My Internet connection (100/100 Mbit/s) is fast enough, it's not like I'm gonna boot my computer from it...

Why do all these features need to be built into the router? You can run the dynamic DNS update client on any computers that is on your local network, the disk is the same, it can be shared from any computer.
Because I want to be able to run the service even when my laptop is not at home. That's the whole idea with connecting the drive to the Internet.

If you want everything on one device then you may have to use a computer to run all the services and configure it as a routers with muliple network interfaces
No, I don't. If I buy an Asus WL-500G for example, everything I need can be done, but with obsolete software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.