Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would it have been better to upgrade my iMac or just repair it?

• Just buy a new iMac!

• Repair it!

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheBruno

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2018
Corvallis, OR, USA
I just agreed to have Apple repair my Late 2012 27" iMac. The logic board is being replaced. I just repaired my iMac in December 2016 due to a faulty wireless card. The grand total (with labor) will be $589. I was debating between this and purchasing a new 27" iMac (around $3,200 with upgrades).

Do you think I made the right choice to repair it? When I purchased this iMac, I wanted it to last me at least 10 years before replacing it. I'm basically entering year 6 now, and this is my second hardware repair in 15 months. Would I have been better off investing in a new machine, or does it make sense to keep repairing this one? Do you think it's reasonable to expect 10+ years out of it? Just curious about other Mac owner opinions out there.

Oh, and I'm new to the forums after being a long-term lurker here. Thanks! :) :apple:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with nambucca above.

At this point, $600 IS TOO MUCH to spend on a 6-year-old machine.
I would cancel the repair, if I was you.

Also -- why do you need to spend $3,200 on a new one?
Do you really, REALLY need all the "high end stuff" on a top-of-the-line model?

The LAST THING I would spend my money on is a 1tb SSD -- not a good expenditure for value received, in my opinion (and I can afford the highest-spec'd iMac out there, but don't consider them worth my while).
(aside: if one is using the iMac for income, and can write it off as a business expense, that's another story)

It would help if you gave us some idea of what isn't working with the iMac?
Are you SURE it's the logic board?
What leads you to believe that?

Reactions: YaBoiD and TheBruno

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
If the 2012 iMac you have now contains a regular HDD, and the new iMac you planning contains a pure SSD, I would consider buying the new one.
It will still be six years old and for one, I would have replaced it. Ten years for me is too long.

I think you've repaired the most costly part in that machine.

Even so, after six years I wouldn't want to put more than $100 in the machine. If you have the means, budget, etc., treat yourself to a new one. The screen alone will give you tingles.

Reactions: TheBruno

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
If you could do it yourself, which is super hard with any iMac you could save yourself some money. Just by Googling logic board for your machine, I found one for $235.00. Of course I do not know which CPU you have, so I cannot give you a solid price.

I kind of disagree with the others, depending on if the machine does everything you need it to do and the software runs fine etc? If that is the case, $600 is not that bad if the machine does everything you need it to.

However, I also kind of agree with the rest here because you probably have an old spinner in there, and you just are not getting the performance you could be if you had an SSD. However, adding an SSD would cost you another few hundred probably, so in that case you would be spending almost $1,000 or maybe more on a 6 year old machine. That is just not worth it.

In the end it is up to you obviously, but I am leaning towards buying a new machine, Apple refurbished, or even a newer used one if that is an option for you.

What model do you have? CPU/RAM/HDD or SSD?

Just my thoughts.

Edit: If you are going through with the repair, buy an SSD and have Apple put it in for you when it is opened up - IF Apple will do that. I have a feeling you would have to buy an Apple branded SSD for them to put it in. Then you will get your 10 years out of it (most likely) because of the WAY better performance.

:apple:

Last edited:

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Hold on, cancel that repair! Look at the prices on these refurbished iMacs from Apple:

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27

The cheapest one is $1,529.00...so if you cancel your repair, you would have to dish out another $1,000 for a 2017 27" iMac 5k display with 3.4GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz, 8GB of 2400MHz DDR4 memory, 1TB Fusion Drive, FaceTime HD camera, and a Radeon Pro 570.

Hell, I would pick one up for myself IF I was not waiting for the 2018 MacBook Pro.

TheBruno

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2018
Corvallis, OR, USA
Wow, thanks for all the great responses. Let me try to explain a few things that might illuminate my situation a bit more:

1. I use my iMac for business and pleasure. I use it extensively because I'm a graphic designer, I run my own business, and I also game frequently in the evenings. I definitely write off any computer expenses I make, so a new one was not out of the question for me.

2. I have a HDD, unfortunately; this was actually my chief concern with repairing it. I know full well that the HDD is 6 years old now, and I wish it were a SSD. To be clear: I asked about upgrading the drive when I was at the Apple Store, and they explained they cannot do it; they can only replace the drive that was in it. Truthfully, I didn't ask about a SSD, I asked about upgrading from a 1TB to a 3TB. I'm assuming the same is true for installing a SSD.

3. One of my ideas was to purchase a new iMac with a SSD, take the old iMac home and make it a project to learn to replace the logic board myself. Worst case scenario was that I'd screw it up, sell it for parts or recycle it, but I'd be perfectly happy with my new iMac. I leaned toward the more economical choice. For me, it came down to $589 vs. $3,000, and I worried that I'd upset my wife a bit. She's supportive of either choice, but March was a tough month for us with taxes. I'm going off on a tangent here a bit, but leaning toward spending less money was appealing to us both.

4. My iMac specs are: 3.4 i7 CPU • 16GB DDR3 • 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

5. The actual diagnosis for my problem was the GPU. With my particular model though, it's integrated into the logic board, so the entire board needed to be replaced. I took it in because the iMac had entirely stopped booting; I could not even boot into recovery mode or safe mode. Ironically, the Apple employee that looked at it first didn't believe it was a hardware problem, but I knew better.

One of my biggest complaints with my current iMac is the HDD. I do worry it has a short life left, and I've just agreed to let Apple replace the logic board for $589. On top of all this, I live in a smaller community, where I have to drive 90 minutes to the nearest Apple Store. That's a 6 hour trip to drop it off for repair, go home, pick it up, and take it back. I'm starting to regret choosing to repair it now.

Reactions: YaBoiD

TheBruno

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2018
Corvallis, OR, USA
After some more thinking, I called the Apple store and cancelled my repair. I just purchased my new iMac with a little hesitation. When I agreed to the repair initially, I hadn't considered my HDD; ultimately though, that's the reason I decided to purchase a new iMac with a SSD. I need as few headaches as possible with my computer functioning, and I worried I would be back in the Apple store before long with yet another hardware replacement.

Thanks everyone for your insight and advice! It definitely helped give me the extra push to cancel my repair. :)

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
Considering your iMac was 6 years old, and containing a regular HDD, to me it is not impossible to think that the HDD could give out at any moment. Usually they don't last that long. Sounds like it has had a "tough" life. Meaning, you use your computer for a lot of intensive tasks.

I have an iMac from 2015, that I bought with SSD, and I have not regretted that one single time. It is fast and silent. And if studies in SSDs are to be trusted, SSDs should last long. But who knows. Only time will tell I guess.

Spending money on a new Mac is never easy, at least not until it arrives. They are very expensive...

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I'm actually pretty excited about it. Did you upgrade the memory on yours to get to 24?
Yep. I think it came with 8 and I bought 16 from OWC and installed it upon receipt.

If you’ve been using a 2012 non-retina and this will be your first experience with 5K, you’re jaw will drop. It’s beyond any other Retina experience in any other Apple Retina product. The wide color gamut is nice too.

TheBruno

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2018
Corvallis, OR, USA
Yep. I think it came with 8 and I bought 16 from OWC and installed it upon receipt.

If you’ve been using a 2012 non-retina and this will be your first experience with 5K, you’re jaw will drop. It’s beyond any other Retina experience in any other Apple Retina product. The wide color gamut is nice too.

It's difficult to imagine because I was quite happy with my old screen. The only issue I had on a regular basis were areas of the screen that seemed to 'burn into' the display. So for instance, if I had my Mail open for a while, switched desktops to a darker screen, I'd still see shadows of the Mail application. Do the 5k displays do that, too?

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
It's difficult to imagine because I was quite happy with my old screen. The only issue I had on a regular basis were areas of the screen that seemed to 'burn into' the display. So for instance, if I had my Mail open for a while, switched desktops to a darker screen, I'd still see shadows of the Mail application. Do the 5k displays do that, too?

You had great specs on your prior iMac, except that darn HDD! If you could have put an SSD in it, it would have been perfectly fine. However, I think you went with the right decision getting a new iMac. Like @Glockworkorange said, the 5k will blow your damn mind! The specs are good. This machine could last you 10 years!

Goodluck with everything, and enjoy your new iMac!

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Good call on buying a new iMac. I’m sure you know this but, see if Apple will remove the HDD from your old iMac. That way you can buy an enclosure for it and retrieve any files you might still need and have the added benefit of using it as an external drive for duplicating important files. When it dies you can replace it with a larger HDD.

Enjoy your new iMac!!

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I’ve never had that experience.

I did have some significant backlight bleed and Apple replaced the screen.

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark

I have the 2015 5K iMac, and yes the screen can have burn-ins. I have tested mine. A morning likes this, where I have spent more than an hour in various forums, if I change to a dark grey desktop, and hide the Dock, I can just faintly see it, if turn the brightness all the way up and put my nose next to the screen glass :)

But I have never seen anything overlaying what I do.
And as a nice little trick, set a hot corner to activate the screen saver, so when you leave your Mac, throw the mouse to that corner. And if it needs to work on something (like exporting) install Amphetamine from the App Store, it will allow the screen saver, but stop the Mac from going to sleep.

I am probably a little overprotective of my screen, but I have had a MacBook Pro 15" Retina, where the burn-ins got really bad. Like 2-3 minutes in Pages and I had a white box on my screen for 5 minutes. And my Mac is out of warranty... so I know it will get expensive if that happens...

But you will love that 5K display, I promise

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Not trying to hijack the thread however, I have never owned an iMac, but when I saw the refurb prices I was seriously considering buying one, but “only” a 4k model with a straight up SSD, no Fusion Drive.

Would I really notice a difference between the 4k and 5k iMac? If I were to buy an iMac, I would want one that can at least play some games on decent settings. Is that even possible? I understand Macs are not the best gaming machines, so I am not expecting a super gaming rig or anything.

Basically what would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
I don't remember how strong the old 4K iMacs graphics were, but if any of the new 2017 iMacs are available as refurb, I think they should be able to handle some games. If not at high settings then at least at medium settings.

The big difference between the 4K and 5K is the graphics card. And a slightly larger resolution.
Try to search Google and see if you can find benchmarks in the game and rig you are interested in.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I don't remember how strong the old 4K iMacs graphics were, but if any of the new 2017 iMacs are available as refurb, I think they should be able to handle some games. If not at high settings then at least at medium settings.

The big difference between the 4K and 5K is the graphics card. And a slightly larger resolution.
Try to search Google and see if you can find benchmarks in the game and rig you are interested in.

Thank you! I am not a huge gamer, but occasionally like to play games like Battlefield 1 and 4, some other FPS’s, and maybe Madden 18. Nothing crazy, and I guess that is what my Xbox One S is for, and now with eGPU support I could make a pretty good gaming machine.

Always wanted an iMac, but Mac laptops have just been what I needed. What is the best gpu for each iMac? I apologize, I am helping take care of my Grandparents and only have time to post and then check back when I get a chance. Dinner time is coming up, and that is on me so I do not have time to even open my MBP up. Typing all this on my iPhone X. Thanks again in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.