Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Problem is, if you need a computer now, the Dell XPS 17 is vapor ware. Looks like a great machine though.

Didn't realize that. I saw YouTube reviews for it last week. I thought that you could actually buy it. I guess that they only seeded them.

You can get the Precision 7740 though. I just priced one out for $12,000. At least you get 128 GB instead of 64 like the MBP 16. 8 TB SSD is nice too.

• Haha
Reactions: LinkRS

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Yeah, also a nice machine. I’d spec it with a high end processor and a good GPU, everything else bottoms of the line, swap out better parts myself. Still, for that kind of cash, I’d be looking for OLED or microLED.

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
Thank you to everyone!

I just placed an order for
16-inch MacBook Pro - Silver

Hardware:
2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
16GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
1TB SSD storage
16-inch Retina display with True Tone
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
Touch Bar and Touch ID

Using the veteran discount, and trading in my current 2015, net cost is $2096! I was initially leaning towards the 2020 13" MacBook Pro with the Icelake i7 (quad-core), spec'ing it out with 16 GB and 1 TB SSD, but the lack of a dGPU was the ultimate deal breaker.

Then I was leaning towards the base 16" MacBook Pro, upgrading it to the 8 GB dGPU and a 1 TB SSD. I was thinking that the i7 running at 2.6 GHz would be better for most single-threaded and/or lighter workloads. I have been stewing over this since Friday (22 May). What ultimately changed my mind was price. The high-end 16" MacBook Pro (with discount) started at $2519 and had the 1TB already included. That is how much the base model clocked in at with the upgraded SSD and dGPU. When I upgraded the high-end version to the 8GB GPU, it was only $90 more! So, I thought, and thought. Watched some YouTube videos, did some reading, and decided earlier today, that I would be dumb to not do the "upgrade" to the i9 for only $90. I am still not sure if the 2.6 GHz i7 will sill be faster than the 2.3 GHz i9, but as I am upgrading from an older Haswell, it should still be a decent upgrade. It should be here somewhere between 4 and 8 June! I am stoked!

Thanks again everyone!

Rich S.

Reactions: Ocnetgeek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.