Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spreadseeds

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2024
Hi,

I'm looking for an app that will force me to stop using my Mac at night. I've been going to bed late for too long because I keep working on my computer. I'd like to try a software solution that will seriously make me stop.

It would be like parental controls (the ones that come with macOS are good, but they're not applicable to an admin account). For example, I would need to lose control of the mouse, keyboard, or screen, or have my internet connection disconnected. It would also be helpful if there were no easy ways to cheat.

Finally, the app needs to be compatible with macOS Sierra 10.12 (I know, it's old).

I've already searched on macupdate and asked Bing and Bard. I've only found softwares requiring newer OS or doing not exactly that, or not doing it properly.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

neutrino17

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2022
Your Mac can shut itself down at the same time every day. The process is a little different depending on the OS version.

Older versions could do this from the Energy Saver panel. Newer versions require use of Terminal.

Note that a shutdown might be blocked if some open app has an open window with unsaved content.

Maybe you could just schedule a recurring alarm of some sort to display a screen size image with the message to yourself telling you to stop. Maybe you could get a movie of your mom telling you to turn off the computer. That would freak me out for sure. Probably you can get Automator to play this video every evening at the same time.

spreadseeds

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2024
Maybe you could just schedule a recurring alarm of some sort to display a screen size image with the message to yourself telling you to stop. Maybe you could get a movie of your mom telling you to turn off the computer.
Maybe I could just close that little window in one click and keep working, like I have been doing for a year now. What do you think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.