Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I'm a professional web and app developer.

In a past life I used Dreamweaver, but moved away from the Creative Cloud some time ago when Adobe started renting their software. Since then I've been using Panic's Coda 2. They're replacing it with a new application called Nova and I'm not hugely impressed by it, to be honest. I'm sure it'll improve but this has driven me to look at changing what I use for my web development.

I use Visual Studio Code for cross platform app development in Flutter and for a free app, it's great! However it lacks a useful FTP tool. Yes, you can get terminal based solutions, but nothing that's as intuitive as the options you have in Coda (and Nova) that monitor files you're working on locally and automatically put them in a transfer list so you can upload them to the correct remote locations at a hit of a button.

I downloaded a trial of Panic's Transmit to use as a test and have been working today in VS Code with Transmit uploading my files. I can't see a way of getting Transmit to monitor local files and build up a transfer list like Coda/Nova. It has a "sync" option, but that's not all that useful as it takes far too long to run through an entire site when you know you've got a small number of files you need to upload. Don't get me wrong, the sync does look useful and I can see me using it, however it's not the right option for what I need most of the time.

I'm not worried about git support or anything like that, this is purely for simple file adjustments with upload.

So my question is: Does anyone know if Transmit has this functionality (if it has, I can't find it!) and/or do you know of any other apps out there that do what I'm after so I can use VSCode and then have an FTP/SFTP app that will track my changes and then send everything to a server at the press of a button?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.