Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Flowers are a nice cliché - they bring colour and life into our unnatural existence, at least for a time. But spending time with a lover is is far more precious, and it is not mutually exclusive with sappy romantic gestures like flowers. Also, what does the girlfriend enjoy doing? Finding a shared hobby or interest helps.

Take it from a divorcée: There are two reasons for not spending enough time with your partner: (1) you're unintentionally being a narcissistic prat focusing on other priorities that you must re-evaluate; or (2) you don't want to spend time with her because you no longer love her. If the former, then you'd better act before she concludes the latter. If the latter, then end the romantic relationship, resolve to be friends, and move on. In both cases, life is short - tick, tock.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
. My wife is a teacher and I make her coffee every morning (she's a coffee fiend)
same here! Married to a teacher, and I have been preparing her morning cappuccino every single day. It’s a small gesture that allows the both of us to start the morning in a good way.

This all boils down to the primary cause/solution/reason..(I know I am not using the right word here but I think you understand what I am trying to say here) and that is communication, paying attention and being observant.

completely agree. Communication (and honesty) is crucial. As for observation, my wife now knows when I wake up on the wrong side of the bed by how I prepare her morning cappuccino. Don’t ask me what’s different in my cappuccino making, but she does notice.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
But spending time with a lover is is far more precious,
Hear! The focus is on the hidden word within “spending time”: quality.

I’ve preached for years on this verify forum
about this but there is very little that I find more saddening than observing people and families at the restaurant glued to their phones. Sometimes they barely exchange a word, and if kids are at the table they often have colored devices in front of their eyes. It’s frustrating and pathetic. Seeing young couples that never say a word to each other is deplorable.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
OP I was thinking that one thing that might work, as long as it’s meaningfully part of a desire to change, is a full day at the Spa together. Full treatment, with nice food, couples massages, etc. and most importantly without your phone.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I'd suggest a dinner in a place she could like, but that is also quiet, red roses and, most importantly, talking candidly with her, telling her you're sorry, stating what happened and, I'd also suggest, coming up with possible solutions, how are you planning on not neglecting her as much, in case another period like that happens.

Or also a weekend together in a relaxing place, like a spa, if she likes it, or just doing whatever she likes.

Give her what can't be bought: your time. And, of course, apologies. And, naturally, what you will do to avoid this situation from happening again.

Exactly what I was thinking, giver her your time is what is most important. Focus on her. Go away for a weekend, book her in for a spa day if she likes that. And have a dinner at somewhere she likes. Try to arrange it as a surprise too.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I am not an expert but just for the balance of things some might say that it is important to make sure that your GF reaching out to you enthusiastically was not her way to apologise for some transgression(however small) on her part. After all relationships are very complex.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Exactly what I was thinking, giver her your time is what is most important. Focus on her. Go away for a weekend, book her in for a spa day if she likes that. And have a dinner at somewhere she likes. Try to arrange it as a surprise too.
No surprises.

Seriously, surprises backfire, and can backfire catastrophically.

Anticipation (the pleasure of anticipation) is a lot better than "surprises" that can get timing (personal and professional) - and other possible commitments - catastrophically wrong.

Spa, dinner, week-end away, yes, excellent ideas if that is what she may like, but not without her input re time (in other words, her input re "when" best suits her), venue, and activity.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
No surprises.

Seriously, surprises backfire, and can backfire catastrophically.

Anticipation (the pleasure of anticipation) is a lot better than "surprises" that can get timing (personal and professional) - and other possible commitments - catastrophically wrong.

Spa, dinner, week-end away, yes, excellent ideas if that is what she may like, but not without her input re time (in other words, her input re "when" best suits her), venue, and activity.
I think that's going to depend entirely on the relationship. I have a pretty good understanding of what my wife likes and we know each other's schedule quite well. I literally surprised my wife with a trip to Mexico this past summer and she absolutely had a ball. Saying that, I didn't surprise her with our trip to Italy as I knew she'd need time to shop and prepare.

• Haha
Reactions: Pezimak

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Not sure if you guys have faced this situation in a relationship before, would love to ask for some advice.

We have been together for three years and I have been very busy this year. The issue at hand is that I've been neglecting her due to work, often not communicating with her when making decisions. There were times when she spoke to me enthusiastically, but because I was too busy and tired(last week had a fever also), I didn't engage, leading to her frustration and subsequent arguments. I recognize it's my mistake, and I want to sincerely apologize to her and buy her some thoughtful gifts.

I'm considering giving her a bouquet, and I'm thinking of roses. Would that be appropriate?

Her hair dryer broke recently, and with the cold weather, I want to replace it as soon as possible. Do you have any recommendations for a good hair dryer?

I would appreciate any suggestions you have in mind for something that girls might like.
The best apology gift you can give someone is a sincere apology followed by a discussion of what steps you can take to prevent the problem from repeating itself. This will let them know you’re interested in improving the relationship and their wellbeing.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I think that's going to depend entirely on the relationship. I have a pretty good understanding of what my wife likes and we know each other's schedule quite well. I literally surprised my wife with a trip to Mexico this past summer and she absolutely had a ball. Saying that, I didn't surprise her with our trip to Italy as I knew she'd need time to shop and prepare.

Did a like emoji then changed to a laughing one seeing the last sentence.. funny as surely Italy is one of the best places to shop? And expensive I imagine too!

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Did a like emoji then changed to a laughing one seeing the last sentence.. funny as surely Italy is one of the best places to shop? And expensive I imagine too!
Yes, lots of great shopping to do but certainly wasn't how we wanted to spend our first few days there. :)

There was just so much beautiful architecture, museums, landscapes, hot springs, etc. We wanted to spend more of our time doing those things than shopping. Although, she did get purchase quite a few items on our lighter days.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Perhaps she didn't like the gift and told him the relationship is over
The gift - as many on this thread (including your humble scribe) have patiently explained, or attempted to explain - was basically, somewhat missing the point, or, was running the risk of missing the point, and was possibly a desperate and doomed attempt to retrieve a situation that may have already become irretrievable.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think that's going to depend entirely on the relationship.
And the person.

Surprises in my wife's life have routinely ended in emotional hurt and physical injury. Surprises in my life have routinely ended in rage.

I do surprise my wife, with small things. Ice cream from the store she was not expecting, stuff like that. But bigger things require letting her know.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I note that the OP, @Mylodon, hasn't returned to this thread since he started it the best part of a month ago.
Perhaps she didn't like the gift and told him the relationship is over
The gift - as many on this thread (including your humble scribe) have patiently explained, or attempted to explain - was basically, somewhat missing the point, or, was running the risk of missing the point, and was possibly a desperate and doomed attempt to retrieve a situation that may have already become irretrievable.
Perhaps OP is focusing on her and not us. 🤷‍♂️

One can hope…

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Isn't that a given since each romantic relationship will have unique individuals involved?
I suppose…but I've dealt with many people in my life who thought surprising me would be okay. They just assumed. Technically, a good surprise is okay, but a lot of assumptions people make that I am a 'normal person' often wind up making me irritated instead.

Maybe that's just because they didn't know me better, IDK.

My wife didn't surprise me because it wasn't anything she cared for herself. So she didn't do it to anyone else. She only found out later in our relationship that I was not the type of person that liked surprises.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And the person.
Exactly.
Surprises in my wife's life have routinely ended in emotional hurt and physical injury. Surprises in my life have routinely ended in rage.
Well said.

Not a fan of surprises, myself.
I do surprise my wife, with small things. Ice cream from the store she was not expecting, stuff like that. But bigger things require letting her know.
Excellent, and very well said.

In general, surprises - especially surprises with anything other than small things - are not a good idea, and can be catastrophic in their consequences.

Let the person know in advance.

Reactions: eyoungren

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I suppose…but I've dealt with many people in my life who thought surprising me would be okay. They just assumed. Technically, a good surprise is okay, but a lot of assumptions people make that I am a 'normal person' often wind up making me irritated instead.

My wife didn't surprise me because it wasn't anything she cared for herself. So she didn't do it to anyone else. She only found out later in our relationship that I was not the type of person that liked surprises.
Again, bravo, very well said.

Such surprises - based on assumptions, and assuming automatic gratitude - may lead instead (as you so rightly point out) to a range of emotions that run the gamut from irked, or irritated, all the way to rage.

Reactions: eyoungren

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001

What you said above is the crux of it. These people didn't know you well at the time. A relationship of a few years will be different than a relationship of over a dozen years. I think my wife knows me better than myself when she surprises me at times. That really was my point, all relationships are different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.