Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
Hello everyone,

After a bit of work, I've developed a BootROM reconstruction tool, which I hope to release to the public.

In its current state, it can turn a "good" dump into a pristine one, which I've verified as identical to "reconstructed" dumps provided to me previously.

The tool can also repair certain types of corruption, such as invalid volume headers and missing serial information.

In order to make sure that my tool can reconstruct every ROM dump possible, I'd like to get some examples of dumps. The worser the condition of the BootROM, the more helpful it will be in the development of the reconstruction tool.

If you'd like to help out, send me a PM with your BootROM dump (and a reconstructed dump, if you have one, so I can verify that my tool produces bit-perfect results).

Thanks

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
Everyone knows that ROM dump usually contains machine serial :). I hardly believe in your success with it.
What proof do you want? It isn’t even that hard to build a tool Ike this and as I’ve stated, I will release it once I confirm that it won’t screw up an already damaged firmware.

• Love
Reactions: paalb

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
Feel free to hex edit out your serial, I can’t do anything with it either way.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Are you only looking for MP51 firmware or are you looking to cover other models as well?
A lot of stuff is MP51 focused and not clear whether your tool is targeted at just this model.

If other models are covered, is there a list? Presumably not every Mac with a BootROM ever made.

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2021
Are you only looking for MP51 firmware or are you looking to cover other models as well?
A lot of stuff is MP51 focused and not clear whether your tool is targeted at just this model.

If other models are covered, is there a list? Presumably not every Mac with a BootROM ever made.
Any Intel Mac should theoretically be supported. However, I've only tested on MacPro5,1 and MacBook4,1 firmware so far. Firmware dumps from any machine will be appreciated.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Everyone knows that ROM dump usually contains machine serial :). I hardly believe in your success with it.
How hard it is to get the serial?

Code:
DmiBoardSerial="$(system_profiler SPHardwareDataType |  awk -F": " ' /Serial Number/ { print $2 } ')"
echo $DmiBoardSerial
It is even easier to grab it from the dump programmatically.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.