Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Anyone using cases occasionally or otherwise on their Watches?

This will be my first Apple Watch. It will be used a lot for fitness, but I also want something that can be dressy or casual. Really like the SS Series 3 Watch over the silver aluminum version in that it has the most versatility for what I’m looking for. My only hang up has been concerns over damaging it in the gym and not wanting to bring attention to it while running/working out due to the polished SS being eye catching.

In trying to resolve this dilemma, I’ve come across protective cases that I can slip on and off around the watch face. I would only use the case during workouts. No need to cover at any other time. Right now, I like the one by Spigen that seems to have good reviews, but open to suggestions from current Apple Watch owners.

Recommendations and/or thoughts appreciated.

Oh, I don’t want anything that causes the heart rate sensor to be less effective either.

EDIT: Didn’t see the pinned thread before. Will look through it as well!

Last edited:

Gary369

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017

Attachments

• 1234.PNG
    1234.PNG
    271.5 KB · Views: 232

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Think twice about casing the SS watch. I have a SS S2 and used a Spigen tough armor case (along with their band). While I love their band for making the watch look more masculine, I took the case off after a short time and trapped dirt, etc. under it caused many micro scratches on the polished SS finish. Was able to polish some out, but some remain.

I wear mine in the gym as well as running, and even shooting many IDPA pistol matches around tight walls, doors, barricades, etc. I have not managed to accumulate other than the lightest scratches which were basically the same as I got with the case on.

I will also point out the sapphire crystal on the watch is awesome. I've caught myself during shooting a course of fire with the crystal up against a metal frame of a prop wall, which is rusty and rough from being outdoors. Not a mark on the crystal after doing this several times.

xray scatter

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
I just purchased this case for my S3 SG Nike+. It’s made by OULUOQI and I purchased it off Amazon. The fit and finish is great. It’s not very bulky and it fits snug around the case. I originally purchased the Spigen Rugged Armor but I had to return it because the side cut outs did not line up with the speaker holes.

Attachments

• 421A53A4-EAC8-48A3-A208-37BE108BF326.jpeg
    421A53A4-EAC8-48A3-A208-37BE108BF326.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 266
  • A56257A1-D80E-4CFA-8B35-B8C5C048C476.jpeg
    A56257A1-D80E-4CFA-8B35-B8C5C048C476.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 309
  • 5BB3A7D3-9EA1-43C7-A26D-6AA5210E8BC1.jpeg
    5BB3A7D3-9EA1-43C7-A26D-6AA5210E8BC1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 297

Pappyland

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2017
Happend to my Aw3 black.

Think twice about casing the SS watch. I have a SS S2 and used a Spigen tough armor case (along with their band). While I love their band for making the watch look more masculine, I took the case off after a short time and trapped dirt, etc. under it caused many micro scratches on the polished SS finish. Was able to polish some out, but some remain.

I wear mine in the gym as well as running, and even shooting many IDPA pistol matches around tight walls, doors, barricades, etc. I have not managed to accumulate other than the lightest scratches which were basically the same as I got with the case on.

I will also point out the sapphire crystal on the watch is awesome. I've caught myself during shooting a course of fire with the crystal up against a metal frame of a prop wall, which is rusty and rough from being outdoors. Not a mark on the crystal after doing this several times.

Reactions: AppleKarma

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
I have the one from OULUOQI and it’s nice but the app switcher button is hard to press.

Also have the Rugged Armor from Spegian and I like that one better aside from the shiny chrome button. It’s a little bit smaller profile vs the OULUOQI case, that’s mostly why I like it more. And the button is easy to press.

BA2020

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7MP0J8

I got this for when I do repair work around the house (siding, drilling, woodwork, etc.)

Reviews talk about how easy these pop off, but they must’ve made changes, because it’s really tight to put on and off. Only negative is it’s a little challenging to do touch actions, as one would expect.

Not really a case, but a protective cover. As such, does not require removal of the watch nor bands.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7MP0J8

I got this for when I do repair work around the house (siding, drilling, woodwork, etc.)

Reviews talk about how easy these pop off, but they must’ve made changes, because it’s really tight to put on and off. Only negative is it’s a little challenging to do touch actions, as one would expect.

Not really a case, but a protective cover. As such, does not require removal of the watch nor bands.

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Something I can cover the watch while working and pop off when I'm not. And at the price I'm willing to risk it, if I hate it no biggy.

Thanks

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I'm a cyclist and ride gravel. I am looking for something to help protect my watch in case I crash and hit the deck. Such a case would be something I only use for rides. I already change bands for bicycle rides (from the black sport loop I normally wear to the black/green Nike band with a RoadId on it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.