Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homer20001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
I've been shooting with the Canon XL1 for years and have been happy with it for the most part. Now I'm ready to upgrade, but am unsure which direction to go. I know Canon's XL2 is popular and Panasonic has some lighter weight cameras on the market that I hear produce fabulous images. I wouldn't mind spending the money if I knew I was getting superior picture quality to the XL1. My price range is $5000

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
homer20001 said:
I've been shooting with the Canon XL1 for years and have been happy with it for the most part. Now I'm ready to upgrade, but am unsure which direction to go. I know Canon's XL2 is popular and Panasonic has some lighter weight cameras on the market that I hear produce fabulous images. I wouldn't mind spending the money if I knew I was getting superior picture quality to the XL1. My price range is $5000

I can't say I've used any of those cameras but one that I was looking at in that price range was a Sony HDR-FX1 HDV Handycam® Camcorder.
( http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...goryName=dcc_DICamcorders_HighDefinitionVideo )

It seemed to have everything I was looking for and actually went down in price 1300 bucks from when I first looked at it.

Just my $0.02

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Sony all the way!

Get a Sony HDR-HC1 or HVR-A1. I have the HDR-HC1 and it's awesome! Also there discontinuing it to replace it with the HDR-HC3. But the HC1 is still better and has more options. You can find a good price online somewhere. Also the larger HD such as leftbanke7 said is a great camcorder to. It just depends how big you want the camera to be... Best of luck deciding.

Nuc

edit: check out http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I've operated a Panasonic DVX100a for the past year, and absolutely love it. Sure those Sony cams will do HD (not true HD, mind you), but it still looks like video! No matter what the resolution of the camera is, you cannot escape this fact.

However, the DVX100a is beautiful. With it you can produce true 24p images, with very a very film-like gamma. The fully manual zoom and focus are incredibly useful as well- snap zooms and perfect focus can both be accomplished easily. In addition, the two built in XLR ports provide you with the option to expand your audio solutions without limiting you to consumer mics. It's a really sturdy and well built camera, and if I were cameraless with $5000, I'd buy it again.

With that said, there's a new DVX100b, which i assume has a few new features. My guess is it's basically the same camera with an additional "ooh" or "ahh", but i've never tried it and can't be sure.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
pdpfilms said:
I've operated a Panasonic DVX100a for the past year, and absolutely love it. Sure those Sony cams will do HD (not true HD, mind you), but it still looks like video! No matter what the resolution of the camera is, you cannot escape this fact.

However, the DVX100a is beautiful. With it you can produce true 24p images, with very a very film-like gamma. The fully manual zoom and focus are incredibly useful as well- snap zooms and perfect focus can both be accomplished easily. In addition, the two built in XLR ports provide you with the option to expand your audio solutions without limiting you to consumer mics. It's a really sturdy and well built camera, and if I were cameraless with $5000, I'd buy it again.

With that said, there's a new DVX100b, which i assume has a few new features. My guess is it's basically the same camera with an additional "ooh" or "ahh", but i've never tried it and can't be sure.

IIRC, the "b" is exactly the same as the "a" it's just manufactured w/less lead content (and some other things) to meet some new environmental standards.

Is the $5k budget for a camera alone or for a "camera package" (batteries, case, tripod, etc.,.)? Are you looking for an SD or HD camera? Is this primarily for personal use or is it going to be a money maker?

Lethal

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
pdpfilms said:
I've operated a Panasonic DVX100a for the past year, and absolutely love it. Sure those Sony cams will do HD (not true HD, mind you), but it still looks like video!
What are you talking about of course it true HD. Every thing I've read about it has not said anything to the contrary. I've looked at the review: link
Tell me if there is anything about it not being true HD. Because I would like to know.

Nuc

3dit3r

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
Nuc said:
What are you talking about of course it true HD. Every thing I've read about it has not said anything to the contrary. I've looked at the review: link
Tell me if there is anything about it not being true HD. Because I would like to know.

Nuc

There is a substantial difference between HD and HD"V". Among the technical issues, there is the price. HDV is meant as prosumer although some pros are using it for wedding videos and the like.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
3dit3r said:
There is a substantial difference between HD and HD"V". Among the technical issues, there is the price. HDV is meant as prosumer although some pros are using it for wedding videos and the like.
HDV is a compressed codec, meant to bring an affordable solution to non-pros. True high defintion footage (i.e. Discovery Channel, ESPN, etc.) is shot in uncompressed HD.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
pdpfilms said:
HDV is a compressed codec, meant to bring an affordable solution to non-pros. True high defintion footage (i.e. Discovery Channel, ESPN, etc.) is shot in uncompressed HD.
How much quality is actually lost? I wouldn't think to much if none at all. Pardon my ignorance I'm not familiar with cameras they use for filming on TV.

Nuc

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
3dit3r said:
It's probably splitting hairs but, IMO, HDV (like DV before it) is a consumer format that's good enough for various prosumer and pro applications.

pdpfilms said:
HDCAM and DVCPro HD are both compressed formats (DVCPro HD more so than HDCAM) although neither one is nearly as compressed as the current generation of HDV cameras. Things like the Genesis or the Viper Filmstream I think could be called uncompressed, but the use to date of that caliber of camera, AFAIK, has been limited to the occasional big budget feature film.

Nuc said:
How much quality is actually lost? I wouldn't think to much if none at all. Pardon my ignorance I'm not familiar with cameras they use for filming on TV.

Nuc
The difference in quality can be mild to extreme depending on what's being shot. The compression method used w/HDV is the formats best friend and worst enemy. HDV's heavy compression allows it fit an HD image into a very small data stream (good) but it also means the image is more likely to break up than other types of HD when there is a lot of movement in the image (bad) and HDV can be a bit of a PITA to work with in post (also bad). A number of people using HDV to pay the rent shoot HDV but transcode it to another codec to edit with.

There are a number of other factors that determine how well various formats and cameras perform head-to-head but that would certainly take the thread excessively off topic. ;) As a final word though, there is a big enough difference in quality that pro's (if they can afford it) will choose a $100,000 HDCAM camera over a $4000 HDV camera, but the difference is also small enough that once the final product gets super compressed for distribution and a typical consumer watching it on their typical consumer TV probably won't notice a lick of difference.

Lethal

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Thanks.

Thanks Lethal for explaining it. I let you know when I get my $100k video camera. hehehe. I'm happy with the one I have and it's by far the best thing I've seen on the market for the price (Sony HDR-HC1).

Nuc

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
leftbanke7 said:
I can't say I've used any of those cameras but one that I was looking at in that price range was a Sony HDR-FX1 HDV Handycam® Camcorder.
( http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...goryName=dcc_DICamcorders_HighDefinitionVideo )

It seemed to have everything I was looking for and actually went down in price 1300 bucks from when I first looked at it.

Just my $0.02
I've used that one in the apple store and all I can say is MMMMM. All I got to spend was 500 bucks on my Panasonic 150 3CCD. Which is pretty nice too. You might should look at the upper end Panasonic cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.