Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.Adam.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2019
Hi,

I'm looking at coming off Android to iPhone. I used to have an app that if a keyword was SMS'd in, my phone would wake up, and play a continuous alert sound even if the volume was down or DND was enabled - and the sound would repeat continuously until I acknowledged the alert.

It was very handy for family members to send a urgent keyword that required immediate attention.

I'm trying to find something that will replace this with the iPhone. As I understand it, Apple blocks access to text messages by other apps so it's unlikely I'm going to find a direct replacement but I'm hoping there's some solution that may work.

I'd be happy with an app that has some sort of push notification that does the same. The closest I can find is a first responder pager app - however, the monthly subscription price is unfortunately beyond what we can handle. (It's designed for commercial/government organizations by the looks of it).

Does anyone knows of an app that would work like this, or a possible alternatively work-around?

I know the apple has favourite contacts, and this can be used to get messages through whilst on DND - but since I'm in many meetings I need the difference between my wife telling me to pick up milk on the way home which I don't want notifications about until I'm out of a meeting / off DND, vs an urgent message which I'm happy for a meeting to be interrupted with bells and alarms for an emergency.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.