Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seabasse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
Hi!

I need to batch-rename a bunch of files and move them to a different folder quite frequently and would like to automate this process. Is anyone in here a great Automator/AppleScript guru or does anyone know where I can find someone I can hire?

Thanks guys!

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Hi,

Here's a rather simple Automator workflow. Put it in your home folder's library's Services folder and run with objects selected in Finder. Posting a Gdrive link. Report in case of troubles.
Rename and move - Gdrive

seabasse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
Thanks, that's a great start! I have very specific needs though. I'd of course pay for help with this if anyone is up for the challenge. I would like to:

1. Select files in finder manually
2. Right click and choose "Quick Actions > My Rename & Move Workflow"
3. If possible I would want to validate that the file names start with four digits and a space ("0000 ", "0100 " etc) and filter out all other files (if any) or return if no matches
4. If there is a hashtag followed by digits at the end of the file name (right before the extension) then that should be removed ("0000 MIX#10.wav" would become "0000 MIX.wav")
5. Get a popup window where I type a custom title and press ok
6. The title should be inserted at the beginning of the file name and a space should be added after the title ("0000 MIX.wav" would become "Custom Title 0000 MIX.wav")
7. This step would be a huge bonus, but may not be possible: if an audio timestamp is found in the audio meta data, then add it to the end of the file name with a leading space ("Custom Title 0000 MIX.wav" would become something like "Custom Title 0000 MIX 01.03.02.04.06.wav"). If this is not possible I'd like to enter the timecode manually in the same window as 5. or a separate window right after it. If nothing is entered in the timecode field, nothing would be added at the end of the string.
8. Move the files to a folder called "Exports" that exist two levels above ("Custom Title 0000 MIX 01.03.02.04.06.wav" would be moved to "../../Exports/Custom Title 0000 MIX 01.03.02.04.06.wav"). If "Exports" doesn't exist then create it

Thanks for any leads to how I can make this happen or who I may hire.

Last edited:

kryten2

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2012
Belgium
Hi,

Is the hashtag in the form #00 eg followed by two digits? The popup windows or dialog boxes kind off defeat the purpose of automation. Choosing 6 files in the Finder would mean 12 popup windows. What is that audio timestamp example you're using. Did you make that up? What does the 01 stand for, the 03 etc? Could you give me an example of the real timestamp? You could attach a screenshot of a Terminal window or even an example of a wav file if it's not too big.
  • Open Terminal
  • type mdls followed by a space
  • drag one of those wave files into Terminal
  • Can you see the timestamp somewhere in the output?
  • Post the output.

Attachments

• ScreenCast-1080P.zip
    4 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.