Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Hi,

I am looking to deploy a server of sorts that will allow me to manage local items such as a Plex server (trunas) and other various home automation devices. Could be run headless but I would like it to automatically power up if power were to go out. Does apple have a Remote Desktop protocol built into Mac OS? I will be connecting from my MacBook if that matters. I am fairly tech savvy new to using a Mac as a server.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Yes. There is VNC server built-in. What version of macOS will your Mac server be running? In Ventura, Settings > General > Sharing and toggle Screen Sharing. Press the "Info" (i-icon), you'll see the VNC URI for connecting to the Mac. Obviously this will only work on your local LAN.

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Will probably be running the latest MacOS unless there is a reason to run something else. What about access outside the local lan?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Well, there’s FaceTime screen sharing but that requires someone to answer calls on the target Mac. You could setup port forwarding on your router or ssh tunneling. You can also choose to pay for a commercial service or product - there’s plenty out there like GoToMyPC or TeamViewer. Just Google “remote access management Mac”

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
The Mac built in screen sharing works great. I use it at home and work. I works over social and VPN networks.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
What about access outside the local lan?
ZeroTeir or Tailscale to build a secure virtual LAN across the internet. I have used both, but now run a Wireguard server on a Raspberry Pi. All those allow your MacBook to connect from anywhere as if it were on your local LAN.

ss4402809

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2023
When you have a remote working environment in your firm, being an employer you would definitely want to get complete updates about what your team is working on. In such cases, installing a remote management tool can be a relevant choice. Don't think.......just go for it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.