Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carly G. Fleischmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
United States
Hello everyone:

I recently acquired a late 2013 MacBook Pro with the retina display. This is a third hand Mac as I bought it off somebody who bought it off somebody else. Thankfully I know both people that previously owned it. The reason I am asking this is for my own sake does anyone know where to obtain an installer image for OS X 10.9 Mavericks? The reason I ask this is because I had to sit through about a six hour download process over 4G using Internet recovery to get the Mac back to factory and wiped from the previous owner. I have found installer images for Yosemite moving forward and intend to download them all and keep them on standby just in case. I unfortunately cannot move to the latest 10.15 Catalina because of the fact that my medical support software requires me to run 32 bit only and the company that makes the software is no longer in existence. I don’t know how Apple thought that forcing 64-bit on Mac and dropping all traces of 32 bit support would be even a viable option because some people (myself included) are “edge cases” and still rely on 32-bit software where the manufacturer either has gone out of business or is refusing to recode their app.

Note that I encourage most people that if your device supports the latest and greatest to upgrade for security, stability, and usability reasons. However, there comes an a very prominent asterisk with that I don’t bother to tell most about because most people will take that asterisk and misinterpret it. The asterisk is “only upgrade if it won’t adversely impact mission-critical apps such as those for safety of life, health, etc.”. Most people interpret that and go “oh I don’t like the way Yosemite does things in the finder therefore I’d prefer to stick on Mavericks.” That is a complete misinterpretation of what the spirit of what that asterisk is meant to be which is to say that 99.9998% of people will be fine upgrading if their machine supports it how ever, there is a very small subset In 0.0002% of the population that doing an upgrade will severely break mission critical systems such as those involved with safety of life, health, or other things that really shouldn’t be toyed with.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Hi, I PM'd you a Mavericks installer DMG I backed up, which you can restore to a USB drive in disk utility. I think that's what you needed if I understood correctly?

Carly G. Fleischmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
United States
hi there:

Thanks you just saved my bacon at the minute because I intend to have these hanging around fro awhile just in case a medical app stops working along the way (install and have a way to get back to Mavericks then go through each version up to Mojave. if one version breaks something go back to the last version that didn't break it)

Hope that makes sense!

Again you just saved my bacon and for that I am thankful

leoaf79

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2013
Hi, I PM'd you a Mavericks installer DMG I backed up, which you can restore to a USB drive in disk utility. I think that's what you needed if I understood correctly?

Hello! Do you mind to send me as well?
I have a Mac Mini Server Late 2012 and I need to update it's firmware.
Thank you.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
I have PM'd the two people above.

Is there something I need to set in my profile to allow new users to start PMs with me?

Last edited:
Reactions: eZwa306

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
...I'm, uh, curious what that is or if it works. They say their installers are "untouched", but there's no such thing as an untouched Mavericks DMG that you can boot and install from. The one I have backed up was generated via Apple's createinstallmedia tool.

One of the downloads purports to just be the ESD itself, which will definitely not be useful in isolation. You stopped being able to use those by themselves in Mountain Lion.

Edit: If anyone feels so obliged, do please feel free to upload the DMG I've been providing somewhere public. I'm just being a little cautious since it's legally owned by Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: eZwa306

Jurgen Schultz

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
Hello could you also send it to me, sorry for not using PMs I'm new to this website.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Done.

If anyone else can't PM me, shoot me an email. It's my username at the domain google uses for email.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
So, uh, has the installer that I have now sent out to a frankly ridiculous number of people actually worked for anyone?

Someone who asked for it via email was saying they couldn't get it to work—Disk Utility kept giving an error. I helped them troubleshoot, and after a while, I suggested they check the hash. The shasum checksum was wrong.

At first I thought it was a corrupted download, but then I decided to try downloading the file I'd uploaded... and it has the same (wrong) checksum he got.

So, now I'm wondering if I've sent everyone a broken installer? I'm really sorry if so, someone should have told me! (I do have a working file I can share, it's just that previously the upload was broken.)

Last edited:

mikeyTV

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
Oh bummer, I just joined to ask for a copy of that. I recently tried to upgrade my mid-2009 mb-pro from Mavericks to El Cap and it will not install and I'm afraid I do not have a copy of Mavricks to revert back to. If you happen to get a working copy please let us know.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
I've PM'd @mikeyTV. To be clear, I do have a working file—I use it myself! I re-uploaded it and confirmed the checksum is correct.

You need to go into Disk Utility, and partition a USB key to have one partition and a GUID Partition Map. Then, restore the DMG to the partition.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeyTV

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
I have PM'd @5comma1 as well. Reminder you can also send me an email!

We need a better system for this at some point, I don't mind sending the link but the volume is getting a little out of hand!

5comma1

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2019
I have PM'd @5comma1 as well. Reminder you can also send me an email!

We need a better system for this at some point, I don't mind sending the link but the volume is getting a little out of hand!
Got it, Wowfunhappy and mikeyTV.
Thanks very much for your generosity!

5comma1

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2019
In case anyone happens to know...

I'm trying to install the Mavericks installer onto a USB stick using the createinstallmedia method.
I'm working with a 2013 Macbook Pro > Mojave

- changed USB stick name to "MyVolume"
- USB stick is formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) > GUID
- from the downloaded Mavericks.dmg I dragged the "Install OS X Mavericks.app" to the applications folder

- pasted the following into Terminal:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app

- Terminal responded with:
/Volumes/MyVolume is not a valid volume mount point.

Any thoughts on what puzzle pieces I'm missing?

Thank You!

MacBook-Pro:~ scottlogan$

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Are you using the DMG I sent? You can't use createinstallmedia, it has already been run! Restore the DMG to a USB in Disk Utility.

A few people have been getting strange errors with "invalid argument", and I'm not sure how to fix that one if it happens (beyond "convert to an ISO and use Rufus on a Windows machine"). But createinstallmedia definitely won't work.

Last edited:

5comma1

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2019
Thanks for the followup, Wowfunhappy.
Yes... I'm using the DMG you shared.

I wasn't aware using createinstallmedia was the wrong approach. Thanks for that.

My circumstance and next questions probably warrant a separate thread so I may start one.
I may have some other issues going on?

Thanks again!

Lwebb

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2020
I’m in a similar position as a previous post. I have an iMac14,2 with Intel Core i5. I depend on Adobe CS6 and use it daily, Photoshop, Illustrator, and ID. I have the install disks. About a year ago, I was having system problems while running El Capitan and contacted Apple support. They told me I was way behind and needed to upgrade to Mojave. (HUGE MISTAKE!!)
I was worried about software compatibility, even told them I used CS6. They said it would still run just not as fast, might be a little buggy!. Well, it’s so buggy it’s basically useless. I can’t afford to “rent” the newer versions.

So..
1. Where can I get Mavericks Installer software?
2. Can I install it on an external drive?
3. Is it possible to run both Mavericks and Mojave at the same time in parallel or some kind of virtual machine? This would be a much better solution if I can make it work.

Thanks for your time!

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
1. Where can I get Mavericks Installer software?
2. Can I install it on an external drive?
3. Is it possible to run both Mavericks and Mojave at the same time in parallel or some kind of virtual machine? This would be a much better solution if I can make it work.

1. I can send you a download link if you PM me. You will need to restore it to a USB key with Disk Utility.

2. You can, but if it's a USB drive it may be quite slow. It would be better to set up multiple partitions on your internal drive. I've done this with older OS's, but Mojave uses APFS which may complicate things.

3. You can Virtualbox (free, slower) or VMWare Fusion (paid, somewhat less slow); I don't recommend Parallels for OS X guests. However, whichever version you install as the "guest" won't perform all that well, because OS X guests don't have graphics acceleration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.