Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navaira

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hi,

I bought a Kobo Aura One recently. It's great. Except for the touch screen which is terrible. Selecting text to highlight is only fun when you like to suffer. This is pretty much the biggest fault it's got.

So what I am looking for is an e-reader (not tablet) with 7-9" screen (so no 6" Kindle babies). One with good touch screen. Able to read more than MOBI or EPUB format. With sideloading. And one that allows to select text without me screaming expletives. I'm not sure about Android-based e-readers, somehow it's hard to imagine them working fast but if anybody has different experiences let me know!

I already have a tablet which I like very much but I also suffer from insomnia and anything that produces excess light has to be eliminated two hours before I go to sleep...

Thanks for any suggestions!

sorcery

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Ring of Fire
I think you are out of luck. I have tried the Onyx book, didn't last long or perform well compared to Kindle DX, which I still have. But old tech. Only the tablets have good touch screen apps. At least IOS 10 has night shift, which warms up the blue light. My insomnia improved by consumption of 1 litre of Burgundy followed by 1/2 litre of vintage Port. Unlikely to improve longevity...

navaira

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I learned how to select text on the Aura One in the meantime – I never expected to need skillz to select text but it works. Going to change the topic to [resolved]. Thanks for the responses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.