Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Guam, Mariana Islands, U.S.A.
Hello. If there are any other Hermes II SysOps visiting this forum, I could really use your help.

About three years ago, when Michael Alyn Miller rewrote parts of the Hermes II BBS software, and switched from writing externals in Pascal to writing them in Python/Jython, I wrote a completely new external that was based on the example code in Michael's new version of Leech, which was the only external Michael actually ever wrote using Python/Jython.

The name of my external was "Get-to-Know-You" version 1.0.3.

After that, in his last and final release of Hermes II before he made it open source, Michael made yet another code change, and he switched from Python/Jython-based externals, to the Forth language, even though he never actually released any externals in the Forth language.

As a result of these coding changes, Hermes II -- at least the latest version, 3.5.11, which you need to compile yourself -- is now without any externals whatsoever. Neither the old Pascal externals will work with it, or the new version of Leech, or my new external, which are both written in Python/Jython.

Well, somewhere along the way, I apparently trashed my "Get-to-Know-You" external. I no longer have any parts of it on any of my hard drives. With Michael switching over to the Forth language, I saw no reason to hold on to my external, I suppose.

However, due to the fact that it is now a part of Hermes II history, at least in a small way, I would really like to acquire a copy of "Get-to-Know-You" to add to my Hermes II file collection.

So, if you happen to be one of the Hermes II SysOps who downloaded and used my external, I would really appreciate if you could give me a copy of it.

Thanks so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.