Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

USB3foriMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
Singapore
does anyone know how the I 219A & EMC1404 circuit works? I have a ADP-310AF PSU with both of them blown [VS & Gnd are shorted], along with a blown TL432 (with marking T4DS)[cathode & anode shorted when chip is on the board but Cathode & VREF is not shorted to ground when chip is removed].

Right now the imac will blow high speed fan due to this. Would it be ok if i just change all 3 chips?
That's for power and temperature monitoring. I wonder why they died; Would have to be a surge on the secondary side.
Since your supply still works, I'd replace the defect parts. If we assume there was an overvoltage on the secondary that killed these parts, other ICs (if any, I didn't check) may have died as well. Better check. It would be normal that the fans spin up because of missing temperature monitoring.

protocold

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2019
So, I have changed these 3 ICs (TL432, I 219A, EMC1403) and the fan remain high but when I ran ASD I saw some sensors problem was corrected except Tp2H.

Upon further tracing I saw 2x 10 ohm resistor connected to EMC1403 was blown opened along with blown temperature sensor Q132 (which is a 2N3904)[which is the corresponding Tp2H]. I have replaced all those and voila... PSU back to normal and the fan no longer blow high speed.

Hope this would help those who encountered similar situation.

ADP.png

IMG_9784.jpg

IMG_9785.jpg

IMG_9786.jpg

Last edited:

Lupotto solitario

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2023
I have an imac pa 2311-02a power supply like yours faulty no output voltage on the rectifier bridge 310 volts; and on the c48 there is a fluctuating voltage ranging from 14 to 8 volts please what components could be compromised.
I disassembled and checked
Q1 and Q3 = Ok
Q6 and Q2 = Ok
and many other components but i can't figure out which part of the circuit is not working thanks

hibananoe

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2023
The FET is 6R199P (IPA60R199CP). You can leave both the diode and the FET out, these are for power factor correction. If this is your only fault, the supply will work without these components.
There are several cases here where this indeed was the only fault. Make sure the primary FETs are not shorted, and the rectifier is ok. If so, you have good chances that it will work. If so, I wouldn't bother to replace the component. It's for the benefit of the power company and to protect their wiring.
Today I finally replaced the FET - I already had ordered them so I decided to use them. This was the only fault, so I only had to replace the input fuse. And it worked! My iMac is back to life thanks to this valuable threat. Thanks a lot!

protocold

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2019
This sounds more like a bad capacitor. You can inspect visually, but maybe one of them or several simply dried up. You can replace them, that should help more than soldering on resistors.
So after more than 18 months I decided to give another try.. I swapped all capacitors and it is still not working.

However, I happened to find a blown resistor marked 3304 that went open around NCP1605G, after replacing it the PSU is working!

But still, there is still awful noise coming out from this PSU...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.